Southeast Asia forum

very rough itenary...advice infinitely appreciated!

• andrea13

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

hello all,
    I'm heading to Bangkok four weeks from today, got two months to explore seasia. im sure everyones sick of dishing out itenary advice but i'd be eternally grateful for any thoughts...
    bangkok- 2 nights
    chiang mai- 4/5 nights
    slow boat- 3-4 nights
    luang prabang- 4/5 nights
    heading south through laos- 10-15 nights, stopping on the way (obviously..)
    south into cambodia, heading to angkor wat-10-15 nights
    poss fly to ko tao? From bkk? Help pleaseeee-1 night
    ko tao- 4/5 nights
    up to Bangkok- 3-4 nights (inc travel)

this is a really rough plan but i still feel its a bit too rushed, cant imagine what id cut out though? i think i might just make it up as i go along!

thanks so much everyone
    A x

#1 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 00:51

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

This seems totally reasonable, you haven't done a day-to-day itinerary, which is a good idea. When you get there just set a date for yourself to get out of Laos and into Cambodia (easily use a standard +/- 2days or something) and that way you won't linger too long or take too many side trips and find you don't have enough time left. You of course won't have a lack of places to see, and a lack of places to skip, but you can certainly see some good highlights and allow yourself some easy days in a few spots.

I'd recommend taking the overnight bus from Vientiane to Pakse so that you split your time in Laos between Luangprabang-VangVieng-Vientiane and Pakse-Champasake-4,000 Islands. That would give you a couple nights in each location and set you right at the border of Cambodia.

Don't know about flights to Ko Tao (Ko Samui), sorry. But if Siem Reap is your only must see in Cambodia you could also go to Phnom Phen of course (as I'm sure your planning) and last I heard there are flights from PP to Ko Samui, but they probably aren't very cheap - so budget for that if you want. Depending on the time of year you are going you may find Ko Chang area a nice island - there are 3/4 nice islands to hop around actually and its right on the border with Cambodia. You could spend your two weeks circling around Cambodia and then cross into Thailand at Trat going to Ko Chang instead of trying to get to the other side of the Gulf.

#2 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 07:08

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

casey pretty much summed up what i had to say too. your itinerary doesn't seem too rushed to me either. if anything, the 10 to 15 days in cambodia might be more than you need for those stops, but it is great to have a few extra days built into your itinerary in case you linger elsewhere.

thakhek or savannakhet are decent enough overnight stops in laos if you choose not to take the overnight bus from vientiane all the way to pakse. but i definitely agree that luang prabang or vientiane or pakse/champassak/4000 islands/bolevan plateau are the better places to spend your time in laos.

if you found you had extra time at the end of your trip you could always add ayutthaya or kanchanaburi to your plans, although it would be just as easy to spend the last of your time relaxing on some beach somewhere. if you do visit ko chang as casey suggests, trat is a great little town to visit too and a good stop to reorganize after crossing back into thailand. have fun. regards.

#3 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 11:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I agree with everyone above. You've got a good plan. Have a great time.

#4 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 11:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
7 weeks Indonesian rough itenary. Advice needed thanks! ... By CoolOperator on 19 Jul 2014 2 576 19 Jul 2014
4 weeks itenary for Thailand - Need advice ... By JamesATaber on 5 May 2010 9 2660 8 May 2010
Itenary help/advice Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam ... By nhopkinsuk84 on 29 Aug 2013 11 1450 6 Sep 2013
Rough Six Month Itenerary: Thoughts, advice? ... By kbs84 on 13 Apr 2011 3 3233 13 Apr 2011
5 month trip - rough route advice needed ! ... By nickolt on 28 Oct 2010 7 3106 6 Nov 2010