Southeast Asia forum

SE Asia in April

• ambersaffron

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2011

This is my first posting but I've been scouring the site for some time now. I'm planning an extended trip to SE Asia for Dec. 2011-Oct 2012. I'll spend time in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia and Burma (probably not in that order). I have tons of questions, but my first is about weather. From what I can figure out, April is the hottest month in the region. Does anyone have any advice on where to spend April and not be miserably hot?
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 23/6/2011 - 02:18

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I'd say anywhere near a coast. In general you get a pleasant breeze then. Inland places become very hot and humid.

Alternatively you could seek out some high mountain areas but there aren't that many with a cool climate in the countries you mention. Only in Vietnam (Sapa & Dalat) but both are only good for a few days so not worth it to plan your whole trip around that.

Then again, it's not that bad. You'll survive and can have a great time anywhere you'll be. Perhaps you should just consider aircon rooms for that period if you can't deviate too much from your itinerary.

#2 Posted: 23/6/2011 - 10:51

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

It might be hot but every cloud has a sliver lining. April is when mangoes are at their peak so I say go somewhere where the mangoes are top quality.

#3 Posted: 23/6/2011 - 14:10

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It'll be bloody hot in April/May - but it's not completely unbearable. As stated above, stick to the islands where you can enjoy the sea breeze (and a dip in the ocean) or in the highlands.

I travelled around that time a few years ago in Thailand and Cambodia, and was pretty much in Siem Reap that I remember as being the worst. It's inland, and it was stifling hot especially around the temples which are made of stone and held the heat! But we survived, and had an awesome time.

Spend your first 3 months 'on the move', then chill out in the islands in southern and east Thailand for 2 months during the hottest period before ramping up again for the rest of your trip - I guess that would be my suggestion.

#4 Posted: 23/6/2011 - 16:34

• ambersaffron

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2011

thanks for the suggestions. great news about the mangoes!

#5 Posted: 23/6/2011 - 22:30

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

In Southeast Asia, the best mangoes are supposed to be found in the Philippines or Thailand.

#6 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 10:55

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia are quite cool at that time of year...almost chilly and that's coming from a canadian :) And the strawberries are terrific!

#7 Posted: 25/6/2011 - 01:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.