Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

SE Asia in April

Posted by ambersaffron on 23/6/2011 at 02:18

This is my first posting but I've been scouring the site for some time now. I'm planning an extended trip to SE Asia for Dec. 2011-Oct 2012. I'll spend time in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia and Burma (probably not in that order). I have tons of questions, but my first is about weather. From what I can figure out, April is the hottest month in the region. Does anyone have any advice on where to spend April and not be miserably hot?
Thanks!

#1 ambersaffron has been a member since 14/6/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by eastwest on 23/6/2011 at 10:51

I'd say anywhere near a coast. In general you get a pleasant breeze then. Inland places become very hot and humid.

Alternatively you could seek out some high mountain areas but there aren't that many with a cool climate in the countries you mention. Only in Vietnam (Sapa & Dalat) but both are only good for a few days so not worth it to plan your whole trip around that.

Then again, it's not that bad. You'll survive and can have a great time anywhere you'll be. Perhaps you should just consider aircon rooms for that period if you can't deviate too much from your itinerary.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by goonistik on 23/6/2011 at 14:10

It might be hot but every cloud has a sliver lining. April is when mangoes are at their peak so I say go somewhere where the mangoes are top quality.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 23/6/2011 at 16:34

It'll be bloody hot in April/May - but it's not completely unbearable. As stated above, stick to the islands where you can enjoy the sea breeze (and a dip in the ocean) or in the highlands.

I travelled around that time a few years ago in Thailand and Cambodia, and was pretty much in Siem Reap that I remember as being the worst. It's inland, and it was stifling hot especially around the temples which are made of stone and held the heat! But we survived, and had an awesome time.

Spend your first 3 months 'on the move', then chill out in the islands in southern and east Thailand for 2 months during the hottest period before ramping up again for the rest of your trip - I guess that would be my suggestion.

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by ambersaffron on 23/6/2011 at 22:30

thanks for the suggestions. great news about the mangoes!

#5 ambersaffron has been a member since 14/6/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by goonistik on 24/6/2011 at 10:55

In Southeast Asia, the best mangoes are supposed to be found in the Philippines or Thailand.

#6 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by tyler on 25/6/2011 at 01:13

the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia are quite cool at that time of year...almost chilly and that's coming from a canadian :) And the strawberries are terrific!

#7 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.