Southeast Asia forum

Jackets?

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

Hello!
    I have a packing query for you all...
    I'm doing a 4 month trip throughout SE Asia and will be spending some time hiking/treking in northern Vietnam and outside of the Chiang Mai area...also some hiking in Burma. I'll be in that region of the world late Sept/Oct/Nov. Would you suggest a light coat such as a fleece lined wind shell?
    I'm debating it's use right now as I sit in Japan's hottest prefecture drenched in sweat.
    Suggestions on warmth necessities appreciated!

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 11:20

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I feel you! I lived in Japan for years and people don't realize how humid it gets. As for the highlands of Se Asia I think a light jacket is a must. I usually layered with a breathable long sleeve shirt with the sports type of material. At least do that. The quick dry stuff. Cotton holds sweat. Then when the cool nights come after the rain or especially in November/Dec in some places you won't be sitting around in a wet shirt. If the fleece is light it will be enough but remember a long sleeve shirt at least. I never got too cold as I am larger but some of the smaller/thinner people around me (especially smaller girls) would be cold as the temperature drop sometimes surprises people up north and the winds come. To have it just in case is worth it. Especially in Thailand shopping areas. They put on the AC at frigid levels!.

#2 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 11:31

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

my wife always travels with her fleece-lined wind shell and loves it. it comes in handy more often than you'd think on things like the flight over, long-haul bus and train rides, and the occassional cool evening. that time of year and at elevation, i think you'll be glad you have it. regards.

#3 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 12:13

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

lovely! thanks you two...answered my question just as i was suspecting.

#4 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 14:05

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Although I didn't go hiking in Vietnam, I was in Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue in December. I found I was comfortable in a Tshirt most of the time, but occasionally resorted to wearing a thin polyprop top under a thin merino top, with a Tshirt over the top. Personally, I like the idea of thin layers so I can adjust the layers without the bulk of a jacket. The merino top was also good for the cold aircon on busses and planes.

#5 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 14:16

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Just sitting by the roadside in Chiang Mai with rainy cloudy weather the last few days a light jacket has been good to have. Sep-Oct can also be rainy and by Nov you're into less rain but cool nights especially up on the hills. Of course you can just buy one here for around 200 baht ($6) but may as well bring with you (note: turbo-charged aircon on flight and inside airport)

#6 Posted: 29/6/2011 - 01:40

• RobRose

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2011
    Location United States

I always bring a fleece bus rides. They can really crank the AC!

#7 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 01:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.