Southeast Asia forum

Trecking footwear

• mikeyspread

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2011

Hey

I am heading back to Se Asia in a few weeks and am planning on spending a couple of weeks in Malaysian Borneo.

I would like some advice on the footwear to take for rainforest trecking and possibly Kinabalu.

I have survived trecking around Thailand in a set of pretty sturdy trainers in the past, but think somthing more substantial may be in order for Borneo. Obviously due to the size of my pack i don't want to take walking boots, but would a set of running trainers or trail shoes do the job?

Mike

#1 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 16:55

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

What is a "trainer"?

I like jungle boots - the kind used by the US Army (they issue a desert boot variety as well). Durable, breaths, dries easily, and compact.

#2 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 17:40

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

trainers = sneakers

#3 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 18:43

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

This is funny, I had the EXACT same thing on my mind.

I have a pair of North Face 'trainers / sneakers' that are essentially just running-type shoes. They did well in Laos. Not waterproof though. I am probably just going to use them again.

I hear mixed reports on Mount Kinabalu, some say you MUST HAVE HIKING BOOTS while others say they did it fine in trainers. The advocates of trainers usually add something like 'it is just a walk, you don't climb..' etc

I actually know someone who has been up recently, just sent them an email and will let you know what they say.

If you are going in a couple of weeks then I will be there not long after you, be good to hear a report back!

C.

#4 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 20:00

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Trail running shoes should be ok for most hikes on well-marked/developed trails. Even a sturdy pair of trainers should be ok.

If you will be carrying camping gear, and/or traversing more difficult terrain, you might need hiking shoes or even boots. It depends on what you plan to do and the terrain.

Kinabalu, AFAIK, can be done with trainers. My brother and his family did Kinabalu and I know there is a trail you can walk. I am pretty sure they did not have hiking boots.

http://www.climbmtkinabalu.com/faq.html

#5 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 22:13

• tknz

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2011

Hi

I have never been to Borneo, so couldnt comment on exactly what you should take, but I like the low cut hiking style of shoe, like the Salomons here: http://www.salomon.com/au/product/exit-2-gtx.html

I have just bought these (AUD $140) for some travels in SE Asia and have had similiar older models that I have used in NZ and central America for day hikking adn camping etc.

They are perfect, as they are very sturdy, reasonably waterproof and quick drying, but you can still wear them out with a pair of jeans or tidy shorts and not look too shabby. My experience is spend a decent amoutn ona godo pair like these, as nothing is worse than having a holiday spoilt from having foot wear/feet problems.

They should last you a few years too.

Hope that helps
    Cheers
    TK

#6 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 09:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.