Southeast Asia forum

3 Months In Southeast Asia

• cn2011

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2011

Me and a friend are planning a 3 month trip to SE Asia next summer, June- September.

We had high hopes of getting quite a few places in there:

Thailand
    Vietnam
    Cambodia
    Malaysia
    Indonesia

However I am now conscious of the practicality of getting it all in. There are places I have been before and therefore only want a short stay so as to maximise the length of time we have in other places. (KL, HK, Singapore, Bangkok)

We are flying to Bangkok, so will be starting our travels from there, and our budget once we arrive will be about £2500/£2700 for the 3 months.

For Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam we were planning 14 days in each (42 days altogether of which can be moved about depending on whether we decide to stay longer somewhere), then working our way down to Malaysia from where we will have a month to make our way to Bali where we plan on finishing.

We will also being going to Hong Kong for five days before we go back to the UK, we aren't going for long as I used to live in HK.

I know that these are high expectations, the 14 days we will spend in each of Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand means we will have to be pretty brutal in our choices of where to go, and we are pretty happy in doing this and getting the most out of a more specific area choice.

This is our only opportunity to go travelling for at least the next few years so really want to make the most of our time.

We are travel newbies, want to avoid the big beach parties and commercialized/western like areas, more interested in culture, but aware that as newbies the beaten track may be a sensible option especially with the time frame!

Can anyone help, we really need a starting point and some tips on the best places to see!

#1 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 21:18

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

If you haven't yet, you should take a look at a weather map to see which areas will be getting the most/least rain while you're there as this is pretty much the wettest time of the year in some parts of SEA. The weather may determine where you'll want to go.

#2 Posted: 3/7/2011 - 01:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would consider moving up and down the Mekong, starting on the Thai side, then once reaching Nong Khai crossing into Lasos and then coming down the river on the Laos side, eventually crossing into Cambodia and heading to Siem Reap. That is a pretty inhexpensive area on both sides of the river and will allow you to compare and contrast Laos and Thailand and then check out Angkor Wat.

#3 Posted: 4/7/2011 - 01:22

• cn2011

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2011

Thanks for the advice guys,

will definitely look into it all!

#4 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 16:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2.5 months in Southeast Asia ... By WillMcP on 11 Feb 2013 2 2141 13 Feb 2013
Southeast Asia AND Europe within 7 months? ... By mthawkins on 20 Mar 2014 13 1485 21 Mar 2014
Solo Traveller Southeast Asia Mid Nov 09 for around 7 months ... By kelsey09 on 25 Aug 2009 18 3985 16 Jul 2012
Best time to travel around Southeast Asia for 6 months? ... By Nibsynibsy on 11 Apr 2013 6 3482 20 Oct 2014