Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

3 Months In Southeast Asia

Posted by cn2011 on 1/7/2011 at 21:18

Me and a friend are planning a 3 month trip to SE Asia next summer, June- September.

We had high hopes of getting quite a few places in there:

Thailand
Vietnam
Cambodia
Malaysia
Indonesia

However I am now conscious of the practicality of getting it all in. There are places I have been before and therefore only want a short stay so as to maximise the length of time we have in other places. (KL, HK, Singapore, Bangkok)

We are flying to Bangkok, so will be starting our travels from there, and our budget once we arrive will be about £2500/£2700 for the 3 months.

For Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam we were planning 14 days in each (42 days altogether of which can be moved about depending on whether we decide to stay longer somewhere), then working our way down to Malaysia from where we will have a month to make our way to Bali where we plan on finishing.

We will also being going to Hong Kong for five days before we go back to the UK, we aren't going for long as I used to live in HK.

I know that these are high expectations, the 14 days we will spend in each of Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand means we will have to be pretty brutal in our choices of where to go, and we are pretty happy in doing this and getting the most out of a more specific area choice.

This is our only opportunity to go travelling for at least the next few years so really want to make the most of our time.

We are travel newbies, want to avoid the big beach parties and commercialized/western like areas, more interested in culture, but aware that as newbies the beaten track may be a sensible option especially with the time frame!

Can anyone help, we really need a starting point and some tips on the best places to see!

#1 cn2011 has been a member since 1/7/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by Tilapia on 3/7/2011 at 01:21

Hi,

If you haven't yet, you should take a look at a weather map to see which areas will be getting the most/least rain while you're there as this is pretty much the wettest time of the year in some parts of SEA. The weather may determine where you'll want to go.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,491
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 4/7/2011 at 01:22

I would consider moving up and down the Mekong, starting on the Thai side, then once reaching Nong Khai crossing into Lasos and then coming down the river on the Laos side, eventually crossing into Cambodia and heading to Siem Reap. That is a pretty inhexpensive area on both sides of the river and will allow you to compare and contrast Laos and Thailand and then check out Angkor Wat.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by cn2011 on 8/7/2011 at 16:47

Thanks for the advice guys,

will definitely look into it all!

#4 cn2011 has been a member since 1/7/2011. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.