Southeast Asia forum

3 Weeks in SE Asia - solo, woman hardcore backpacker

• foubee

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2011

I will have 3 weeks to travel around. I will fly in Bankok on August 8 and will fly out on August 30. I am interested in Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos/Mynanmar. Maybe I should save Thailand for later...any advice how to map out my itin? which countries should I pick. once i land in bankok, i will only move around by land...all border crossing..

any advice?? Pleeeeeeeeeeease!! :-)

#1 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 09:04

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You will not be doing 5 countries in 3 weeks, no matter how hardcore you are. Check out all the previous posts on the logic (and logistics) of doing this. Unless you are prepared to spend more than half your time sitting on buses.

Check out the itinerary planners on this site for more info.

I'd say pick one. Thailand gets my vote in this case.

#2 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 09:34

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You can't get into Myanmar overland. You have to fly intoYangon if you want to travel more than a few km from your point of entry, so scrap that one off your list. (I think you can fly into Mandalay too, if you're coming from China. Not 100% sure though as I always go there from BKK.)

I love Myanmar, would be my first choice in the winter months but August is a bad time to go there anyway ... rainy season and some of the roads might well be impassable.

#3 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 13:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

SBE really? A friend of mine went there, and loved the people but said the Gestapo were simply unbearable. He said he would never go back to Burma unless the military government disappears.

#4 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 17:45

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I'm at a loss about the hardcore backpacking. What does that mean exactly?

Does that mean one has a daily all-in budget of $5?
    Eating strictly streetfood dishes of less than $0.50 cents?
    Taking only local "chicken-on-your-lap" minibuses and walking any distance under 5 km with a backpack on your back?
    Feeling, naturally, superior to any other traveller that does anything else?
    Haggling till the marketseller caves in to concede that last $0.10 profit so you can have the local price for that mango?

Please tell me I'm wrong with the above assumptions. I could easily have overseen something very obvious.

#5 Posted: 9/7/2011 - 11:52

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Military can and do abuse populations everywhere. Not going to Burma because of the military govt isn't helping the general population at all. That was the opinion of a Shan rebel leader I happened to bump into and have lunch with one day on a previous visit. Also the opinion of an old woman I met whose husband had just been sentenced to 13 years imprisonment for allowing westerners into their home without permission. They definitely didn't want the country to be left without any contact with the outside world.

I sensed less oppression and fear on my last visit BTW... just a feeling. Aung San Suu Kyi had just been released from house arrest, maybe that had something to do with it.

#6 Posted: 9/7/2011 - 18:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Military can and do abuse populations everywhere."

You have this problem in England?
    Did you have it in Thailand?
    Did you have it in Malaysia?
    Did you have it in Indonesia?

In most states, there are limits to police powers and military are focussed on external, vice internal, threats. Burma is a police state where rule of law does not apply in any way, shape or form. I haven't been, but this particular friend of mine feared for his very safety when confronted by agents of the government there. I don't agree people shouldn't go for some sort of boycott reason (although I understand the rationale) but people should understand that if you are confronted by agents of the government, the chances of a bad outcome are much higher than in a state that embraces constraint on government agents.

#7 Posted: 9/7/2011 - 18:26

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I was thinking more of DR Congo, Chechnya, Iraq etc. Have gun, will rape and pillage.

Can we get back on topic?

#8 Posted: 9/7/2011 - 19:04

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS Why did your friend fear for his very safety in Myanmar? Loads of military checkpoints and guys with guns but they aren't all that scary. Myanmar is one of the safest countries in SE Asia to travel in...very little risk of getting robbed or mugged there in spite of everyone knowing that you have the equivalent of several years salary in cash on you.

#9 Posted: 9/7/2011 - 19:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

My friend told me he felt like he was in Nazi Germany. And he didn't like the feeling.

#10 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 01:35

• Advertisement

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

He's that old?

#11 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 03:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OK, I think he meant it felt like he imagined Nazi Germanyu would feel.

#12 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 11:03

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

@MMThere are military road blocks where people's passports get checked in Thailand and Indonesia too.

In Myanmar there are military ID checkpoints everywhere but I've never seen a foreigner get taken off a bus at a military road block and detained by soldiers in that country. I have seen that happen in Thailand though...and not just once either.

Did your friend actually see any foreigners getting hassled by the military in Myanmar? Did he hear about this happening to any tourists while he was there? It's a pain in the arse having so many checkpoints but they don't target tourists and hardly glance at your passport, it's a mere formality. They aren't looking for foreigners.

BTW, I saw a trip report on TF recently saying they didn't even have to get off the bus for ID checks... treated like the monks, given a sort of "diplomatic immunity". Don't know if that's general practice now or not....I've almost always had to get off the bus and queue to get my ID papers checked like the locals.

@ Foubee. You haven't given us any clue what your interests are or what you want to see so how can people suggest an itinerary for you? All we know is that you want to cross borders overland and consider yourself a hardcore traveller.

You want things to be as difficult, time consuming, uncomfortable as possible right? Something really hardcore that can be fitted into 3 week holiday and which involves crossing a border overland. Aha! Got it. Here's an itinerary idea for you.

Go from BKK to Siem Reap via the Poipet border crossing. Be sure and go there by minibus from a KSR travel agency. Do NOT go to Mochit bus station and take an ordinary public bus to the border because that wouldn't be hardcore enough. You get much more opportunity to demonstrate your skill and panache at detecting and dealing with scam artists on KSR transport. Also it'll take much longer to get to SR and will be a lot less comfortable so that's a big plus too.

Taking the piss a bit, sorry, but you do need to give people some idea of why it is you're interested in visiting the particular countries you've mentioned. Why them and not Afghanistan, Yemen or Cameroon?

#13 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 20:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

SBE
    Are you trying to assert that the quality of governance, in any capacity, in Burma is somehow equivelent to the quality of governance in Thailand?

#14 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 21:18

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I was just questioning that scared friend of yours opinion about how safe it is to travel in Myanmar. Disagree but ask Tilapia, he's the expert.

I was also questioning his opinion about how ethical it is to go there now. But hey, why don't you go and see if you can find a single person in Myanmar who thinks it's a good idea for independent tourists to boycott the country.. Their opinion is, after all, more important and relevant than what your friend thinks.

PS You obviously haven't seen how brutally the Thai governance treats Burmese refugees.

#15 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 22:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

You did not answer the question.

I have no desire to go to Burma. It has no salsa scene.

Yes, the Thai government has not always been gracious concering the Hmong, the Khmer and others. To be fair, there has been a siginificant refugee problem on their borders for a long time and it puts a continuous economic demand on the country. The problem with Burma is particularly a difficult one, as it has been decades long and no end is in sight.

And my friend did not say it was not safe. Indeed prior to WW II it was safe for tourists to travel to Nazi Germany. He said it felt oppressive and found it easy to imagine scenarios where it would not be safe. Thus he didn't enjoy it. I did not say he (or I) advoacted boycott. What I said was I was surprised that you prefer it.

#16 Posted: 10/7/2011 - 23:08

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You did not answer the question

And why do you expect me to answer your question MM??

Thai/Burmese/Khmer/Hmong/Nazi politics is totally off topic...I've explained why I think it is safe to go to Myanmar and I have explained why I don't think the tourist boycott is a good thing for the people of Myanmar. That is more than enough considering the OP probably won't be going there.

I love Myanmar because of the people, the culture, the scenery, the light. I find it a far more interesting country than Thailand. Here are some photos of Myanmar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8675349@N06/sets/72157626752269628/

Hope that helps with your question.

If you want to talk about politics there's a section for that elsewhere. People who are interested will reply if they have time I expect. That is not what Foubee asked about.

#17 Posted: 11/7/2011 - 01:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It is off topic, but you did bring it up.

#18 Posted: 11/7/2011 - 01:35

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

?

#19 Posted: 11/7/2011 - 01:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Foubee
    Back to your question:

Which countries should I pick? Pick one. You have enough time to take a decent, superficial look at one place. Do more than that, and you won't absorb much from anywhere. Not enough time. Absorbing another culture takes, above all, time.

#20 Posted: 11/7/2011 - 11:34

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Nice pics SBE. You boys...hehe!

But OP I agree. What is a hardcore packer and what do you want to see?
    I say pick one place. North to South Vietnam. But 3 weeks is not enough anywhere in SE Asia really but if you just wanna breeze on in.....

#21 Posted: 11/7/2011 - 15:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Solo Backpacker Southeast Asia Travel Buddies ... By arienneantonio on 23 Jul 2013 0 1035 23 Jul 2013
Sihanoukville for solo woman? ... By curstilace on 30 Jun 2009 7 3160 3 Jul 2009
Advice for Solo Woman Traveler ... By Skrohn1 on 12 May 2012 4 1837 13 May 2012
solo woman 31 years old thailand, bali and etc 21.09-01.11 ... By vilma_79 on 20 Sep 2010 0 1296 20 Sep 2010
WOMAN SOLO TO THAILAND, CAMBODIA, LAOS, VIETNAM ... By jajaradak on 10 May 2012 8 2669 30 May 2012
Itinerary for a new solo-Backpacker ... By Caceres on 31 Jan 2013 6 2987 27 Feb 2013
First time solo backpacker in SEA ?? ... By Intrepid82 on 29 Jul 2009 2 4688 29 Jul 2009
34 years old woman travelling alone in SE Asia from December till March. ... By sonidominguez on 13 Apr 2011 9 3653 20 Sep 2011
28/m/london 6 month solo backpacker landing in BKK 5th Nov... ... By finchi on 16 Oct 2012 4 876 24 Oct 2012
21 Year Old Solo Backpacker Thailand Advice ... By dbryant7 on 27 Apr 2010 5 7809 2 Jun 2010