Southeast Asia forum

Where is a good place to go for 10 days.

• joniels

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2011

Hi everyone

I've just taken leave for 10 days at the end of October (I live in South Korea) and I dont know what a good, inexpensive, holiday would be for that short a period of time. I think maybe to go somewhere that has an interesting festival happening at the same time would be nice - but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 10:53

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

In Thailand there's a beautiful lantern festival called Loi Kratong around that time but you might just miss it as it's on November 10 this year!

In Myanmar there's the annual balloon festival on November 4-10 though.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Taunggyi

The balloon festival is the main event of the year there so accommodation does get a bit more expensive at that time (usually it's about $10 night). You'd almost certainly need to book a room I expect. With 10 days you could see the two main tourist highlights in the country, Inle and Bagan. I've a feeling they use the ceremonial boats on Inle at that time too. (I haven't been to Myanmar at that time of year so I'm not certain!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8675349@N06/5893652601/in/set-72157626752269628

Indonesia. Not sure if there are any special festivals on in Bali then but on Sulawesi there's some kind of ceremony going on near Rantepao most days. (Plenty of very eager guides there who will be able to take you to one). Spectacular mountain scenery there for walks and you can visit hanging graves etc without a guide. Downside is that it rains heavily most afternoons there.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/213

You could fit in a bit of beach time too if you like. Bira is a nice beach town about 5 hours by bus from Makassar. Very quiet during weekdays but gets a bit busier with locals from Makassar at weekends.

#2 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 14:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

What do you enjoy doing? That would help people provide good advice.

#3 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 14:56

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

nice suggestions above. with 10 days to spend, i'd probably let two things determine where i went. first would be airfare and any specials available. second would be weather. from seoul/incheon, i'd likely want to fly to either bangkok or den pasar/bali if the price was right. ten days is enough time to visit bangkok and one other place like nong khai or chiang mai or samui island, for example, or explore bali and perhaps even a few days on lombok, as another example.

what kinds of things do you enjoy? temples like angkor wat? beaches? party time? i'm afraid i can't add to the festivals list SBE provided above. cheers.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2011 - 04:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Good place to visit (3 days) after a week in Koh Lanta ... By elisekn on 3 Feb 2011 2 2358 3 Feb 2011