Southeast Asia forum

first backpacking trip : 28 days itinerary -- help anyone?

• bazooka

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2011

hi there!

im planning my first backpacking trip for 4weeks...here's what i have so far..

day 1: Manila to HCMC
    day 2-4: 3days in/around HCMC
    day 5: HCMC - Can tho
    day 6-7: 2days Can tho
    day 8: Can Tho - Chau Doc
    day 9-10: 2days Chau Doc
    day 11: Chau Doc - Phnom pehn
    day 12-15: 4 days in/around PP
    day 16: PP - siem reap
    day 17-21: 3days angkor + 2days in/around SR
    day 22: SR - Kuala Lumpur
    day 23-27: 5days in/around Kuala Lumpur
    day 28: KL - manila (phils)

i would really appreciate feedback, suggestions and recommendations from anybody here in TF as im not sure if the time alloted for each place is enough to "experience" the local life, history & culture of these places (given my limited time and availability of seat sale :-) ). im hoping to save the northern/central part of vietnam for a later trip...i also prefer to give beaches and parties a miss (since i will be island-hopping /beach bumming in Palawan anyway for a week, before flying out to saigon) or shouldn't i????. im planning to go last week of november - mid december.

* is the time alloted for each place enough or will it be too rushed?
    * given the time constraint, what are the sights/ activities that shouldn't be missed in HCMC, Mekong Delta, SR, PP, KL? (preferably: sceneries/ecotours, rivers/forests, foodtrips, museums/historical sites, temples, a chance to interact with locals (and maybe, ride an elephant???? :-)
    * 2 days in chau doc -- too long? should i be better off saving the other day for another place?
    * any weather concerns?

thank you all, and thank you TF for this great site!you are truly helpful and inspiring.

-baz-

#1 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 17:00

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My advice would be not to allocate time to any one place. Go, and when you don't want to be there anymore, go to the next place, and so on until you run out of time.

#2 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 17:34

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Your schedule isn't too bad as a guide to work to. Possible two days in Chau Doc is unnecessary. Personally, I also think 5 days in KL is too long - but then I'm not fan of KL. Maybe considering spending 2-3 days in Melaka as it's not all that far from KL (maybe a 4 hr bus ride) and it's not a bad little town with lots to see and do. And you might find that it's quite easy to spend more time in Siem Reap as there are quite a few things to do, including day trips out of SR.

I think the key thing is to have your schedule as a guide, but don't book anything other than your start and end flights. This will give you maximum flexibility to change your mind as you go - and that WILL happen! Sometimes you land in a place, and you are ready to move on. Other times, you may find that you really take a liking to a town and want to spend a bit more time absorbing the vibe of the place.

#3 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 19:22

• bazooka

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2011

thanks so much madmac and busylizzy! i just realized now that ive been overplanning this trip.LOL. hmm, i like the idea of having a more flexible "schedule" (or maybe not having one) and just let the "feel" of the place guide me. boink!why didn't i think of this before? hahhahaa!

thanks guys you've been a great help! happy & safe travels to you both.

#4 Posted: 17/7/2011 - 00:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
35 days itinerary (Viet/Camb/Laos) - backpacking rookie asks for help :-) ... By summerrain on 21 Jul 2009 16 4869 20 Oct 2009
16 days itinerary advice - including trip questions ... By Jaimyvandijke on 26 Jul 2013 4 1497 29 Jul 2013
16 Days trip itinerary to Vietnam in March/April ... By manifaraji on 15 Feb 2014 3 1293 7 Apr 2014