Ideas needed

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Good morning folks.

Been a while since I posted here but I know the usual drill - so don;t shout me down please :)

So I am being lazy this time around and am going to take my inspriation from you guys.
    I have 17 days at my disposal to visit SE Asia at the end of September. Our flights land in Bangkok. I've visited Bangkok, ChaingMai, Koh Phangan, Siem Reap, Perhentian Islands, and KL a couple of years ago. I was also in Timor Leste, Singapore and Bali (v unimpressed with Bali btw - Bangkok on the beech) earlier this year.

The only place I feel like visiting is Kanchanaburri. Other than that I need some ideas. I'm going with the missus who did quite well the last time around (surprised me anyway), I was expecting and adverse reaction to some of the trip which never really came. We're quite happy to jump on an Air Asia cheapo flight to anywhere and are really up for practically anything.

Sorry to be so vague. So where are your favourite places, beechy, city, countryside, historical sights? Anything!

Thanks in advance :)

#1 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 19:00

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Bali = Bangkok on the beach. You must be the first one to say that and I dare say that you haven't seen it properly. Perhaps you didn't get out of Kuta and/or Sanur

Anyway.

I'd go for a few days Kanchanaburi and then 10 days Laos and spend most time in Luang Prabang.

second option would be northern Vietnam with Hanoi, Halong Bay and Sapa

third would be southern Vietnam with more beachtime if that is needed

#2 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 19:12

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Thanks EastWest. You are correct abnotu Bali. I usde it purely as a stopover onour way to Timor Leste.
    I full day/night there on the way and half a day and night on the way back. I was glad I didn't stay longer - different strokes for different folks I guess. I did make it out of the town and went took a trip inland. Didn't blow me away I'm afraid.

So what's so great in your opinion about the suggestions you made? I'm looking for reasons to go other than what's obvious? Hope that makes sense.

#3 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 19:44

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Well, the reasons depend on your interests.

I've named the obvious since you haven't indicated what you're interested in. And since you weren't impressed with Bali it would be good to indicate what you like or disliked about Bali.

#4 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 20:01

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you're going to Kanchanaburi for a few days, I'd continue on from there to Sangkhlaburi for a couple more. It's a really nice town, there's a cool Burmese village across the water, and the area is gorgeous. Weather might be questionable, but you can make the call at the time. Just don't go to either place on a Thai holiday.

If you wanted to go south from there, Amphawa is not far at all from K-buri. Amphawa is another cool little spot that's popular with Thais, but not so much with westerners. You can do a homestay there on the canal.

Prachuap Khiri Khan is also quite a cool spot, on the water with a really nice waterfront and fantastic, inexpensive seafood.

If you wanted to go north, Sukhothai is good as is Si Satchanalai, but again the weather may not be cooperative.

Other towns not too far (within 5-6 hours travel time) from Bangkok that I think are worth checking out, that I haven't mentioned above, are Chanthaburi, Trat, Mahachai (Samut Sakhon), Samut Songkhram (Mae Khlong), and Phimai.

#5 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 23:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.