Southeast Asia forum

Union Pay ATM card in SE Asia?

• kjkiwi

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

I am currently living and working in China, and I'll be heading off on a four-month trip around Laos, Vietnam, Nepal and India soon. I have a Bank of China ATM card that I can't use outside China, but I've heard that Union Pay is accepted in other countries. Can anyone tell me if they have used a Union Pay card in Laos, Vietnam, Nepal or India? I will be travelling to these countries in a couple of months and I need to know if I can access my funds...

If not, can anyone suggest the best way I can travel with the money I've been painstakingly saving for the last six months??

[img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#1 Posted: 24/7/2011 - 06:20

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

No personal experience - but a friend used his Union Pay (Agricultural Bank of China) to get funds out of an ATM in Saigon. I've had it work in BKK before, but saw no Union Pay signs when I was in Southern Laos this last time.

#2 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 01:43

• boopolo

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2011

there are various union pay atms in vietnam. i used bank of china.
    Not all atms have union pay but you wont have truble finding one.
    agriba bank or something like that lets you withdraw the most.

im going to laos in a few days time and want to know the same answer there too.

#3 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 21:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.