Southeast Asia forum

One month in one place, where would you go?

• katielane18

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2010
    Location United States

I am starting a job in Thailand and I have to be there on the 17th of September. I am going to be running really low on money by then so I am thinking that I will just go somewhere and plant for a month or so. It doesn't have to be in Thailand but should be in SE Asia. Where would you guys go? Here is a short list of things I am looking for but none are requirements, just ideals.
    1) Beach
    2) Cheap (lodging, food, beer)
    3) Has things to do (either activities or sights) and a fair amount of people around

That's about it. Would love to hear some ideas!

#1 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 15:13

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Assuming you mean one country (as opposed to just one place), I would recommend Malaysia (Peninsular), especially given it's proximity to Thailand (if you are on a tight budget).

1) Beach - Perhentian Islands;
    2) Malaysia is very cheap, even by SEA standards.
    3) Things to do - Penang, KL, Cameron Hiughlands etc.

One specific place that would meet your requirements would be Sihanoukville in Cambodia but, as you may have heard, this is not everyone's cup of tea. I personally liked it quite a bit, esp. the uber-chilled Otres Beach, but not everyone takes to it.

#2 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 15:53

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi katie
    My vote goes to Sihanoukville. Cheapest place I know. Easy to get to from Bangkok. Weather wont be great at that time of year but it will met all of your other requirements.
    Beer 50 cents; great BBQ $3, fan room with bath $5; dorms available if you want them.
    Can't fault the prices! Kampot & Kep are not far if you want a bit of a change of scenery (but a bit more expensive).
    Mike

#3 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 16:03

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Bang Saphan might be a good choice, as well, especially for that time of the year.

#4 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 23:23

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

My vote goes to Hoi An . It has a great beach that stretches for miles and miles, on which you can easily find secluded areas. Outstanding and cheap seafood. Fresh beer is around US 30 cents per glass(!). Decent rooms can be found in the US $12/night range. The Old town is possibly the best place in SE Asia to relax at a cafe... Think "Venice of Asia." The people are possibly the most friendly I encountered in all of Vietnam if not mainland SE Asia, and the surrounding area is loaded with worthwhile day trips (Great temples in and around Hoi An, My Son, Marble Mt., China Beach, islands, Da Nang, etc.). Also, from Hoi An the stunning ruins of Hue are just a couple hours bus ride north, so an inexpensive side trip there is a definite possibility.

#5 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 05:51

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Bear in mind that going to another country is going to cost money (transport, visa etc).

You want a fair amount of other people around, a beach, fairly cheap. In Thailand maybe Ko Phangan would fit all those requirements and the weather should still be OK in early September too.

Avoid the full moon party at Had Rin though...the main reason for organizing parties is to relieve tourists of their money.

#6 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 06:30

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Is your visa situation an issue? Would an extra month in Thailand before you start work be covered by the visa you'll be using for your job, or will you need to string something else together?

How much money do you have for that month?

For beach places, you can save a lot of money on accommodation by staying at places that are off the beach. You can save money on food the same way, and particularly by eating at the places where the locals/workers eat.

Just to throw in another idea, have you considered hanging out in southern Laos in the 4000 Island/Si Phan Don area?

#7 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 10:56

• katielane18

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2010
    Location United States

Wow! Thanks so much for all the responses!! I'm not sure exactly how much I will have, as I'm trying to cut back on beer at the moment in order to save more but it's not really working out ;). I'm thinking something like $500-600 if that's possible. I have been to Shianokville and didn't really like it very much. I think Hoi An seems like a good idea. I loved the 4,000 islands and that would be nice too.

If I went somewhere in Thailand I would just do a visa run right before the job began. I had thought about Ko Phangan. I would DEFINITELY skip the full moon. I like beer but that's is not at all for me. Are there cheap places to stay there? Hmm... so much to think about!

#8 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 18:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.