Southeast Asia forum

HOMESTAY'S THAILAND..??!

• kgroarke

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2011

Hi, due to head of on a trip around se asia next week with my girlfriend nd i plan on being in thailand around October time.

Just wondering whether it is necessary to book homestay's well in advance or is it possible to book them, say a couple of days in advance???

Really want to do one in thailand...but as my plans will be changing as i travel it would be difficult to book this far in advance....has anyone ever had this problem?

Also does anyone have any suggestions for a good homestay that involves living with a hill tribe...bit of cooking... detox and a few other activities to experience real thai life...

much appreciated !!!

#1 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 23:10

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Depends on where you're going and when. For example, trying to get into a homestay during a holiday (like New Year, Christmas, or any regular Thai holiday) in a place like Amphawa, where there is a floating market, or Chiang Khan up on the Mekong River, is impossible unless you reserve weeks in advance. The same is true in areas where a big festival might be happening.

In the more rural areas this is not the case (again, unless there is a big festival happening, such as in Dan Sai). You can often just walk up to a homestay and be welcomed in with open arms.

They are all over the place, and the great majority of them are not advertised online.

#2 Posted: 28/7/2011 - 01:07

• kgroarke

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2011

thanks for your reply, thats good to know that there are loads around.

Well were thinking northern Thailand maybe around chang mai...around the start of October so dont think there is anything on at that time of year....??!!

do you know if there are many homestays with a hill tribe in the chang mai area and if it will be easy to book one a day or two before??

#3 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 01:55

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

You have to keep your eyes peeled for signs in the areas where you want to go to. I noticed in quite a few areas of the NE, and on the outskirts of Bangkok, signs were posted around bus and train stations, many of them in Thai. In Chiang Khan, for example, there are over 100 homestays, but very few of them are signed in English.

Can't help you with the Chiangmai area. I haven't been up that way for some time. Hopefully someone on this site will be chime in with some helpful info.

#4 Posted: 3/8/2011 - 00:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My father in laws place is open. It's a real Thai place - not some conjured thing for tourist. He has work to do on the farm, and real Issan food to eat, and... well, the real thing.

#5 Posted: 3/8/2011 - 02:59

• kgroarke

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2011

cheers tilapia, i wll just have to try my best at spoting the signs in thai!!!

@madmac do you have any more details for that homestay... location etc. ?

#6 Posted: 3/8/2011 - 04:13

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Well, they're not all in Thai, but many are. I think that quite a few homestay operators have geared their businesses towards the relatively new middle and upper class throngs of young Thais who are on the move these days. Rich, educated kids who have grown up in condos and who have little to no idea about village life or rural living. And they gobble it up.

#7 Posted: 3/8/2011 - 18:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

kgroarke
    If you really want to stay in an Issan village in a real Thai house with people who do not speak English, where there is no internet anywhere close, and eat like an indigenous person, I can make it happen. But most "Homestays" have become modified, because sleeping in a place where you are wrestling with insects, eating food that might not appeal to your palate and having no other alternatives, using a squatter toilet that is dirty and a shower than it a bowl of cold water thrown over your head... most people do not want to do this. The romantic idea of getting down with a local situation becomes un-romantic pretty quick. I know, because I spend a lot of time in this village. But if you want to do it, I can hook it up for you.

#8 Posted: 3/8/2011 - 20:03

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I say at least head out toward Macs way. he is near the Mekong and the border (am I right Mac). People don't head out that way and you will get the real deal. Even if you don't do the village he mentions you won't be near everyone else.

#9 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 12:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.