Southeast Asia forum

South East Asia December 2011 HELP!!

• mattyoliver

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2011

Hi Guys,

I’m planning a trip for early December to Asia. I have about 25 days to play with.

My plan so far is to fly into Bangkok & visit the Similan Islands on a liveaboard for a few days & then check out Ko Raya Island too. Would you recommend Ko Raya? I don’t know very much about it so if anybody can recommend any more islands close by that are worth visiting that would really help too.

I’ve already done Koh Tao, Phi Phi, Samui & would like to visit some different places!! I’m looking for chilled out idyllic places where you can still have a bit of a party or drink but not as full on.

From there I have all kinds of ideas and would love some input from people that may have been to these places before.

Last year I visited Bali, Lombok, Gilli Islands & Komodo, I was debating whether to head back to Indonesia for a couple of weeks & just find go with the flow, I love beaches & diving & checking out local food & meeting people. Would you say it was worth visiting Indo for a couple of weeks as I know the distances/ reliability of boats etc is a problem. Where would be do-able in a short amount of time that is similar to the Gilli’s e.g. beautiful beaches, crystal clear waters.

Another option I’m looking at is going back to Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam & maybe checking out the more rural parts on motorbike?

I also fell in love with India last year & that is another option, so many ideas, so little time!!!!!

With regards to the weather/ seasons.... Could a few of the above places be eliminated as it will be pissing down with rain the whole time? : )

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 3/8/2011 - 20:24

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Might well be pissing down in Indonesia so you can eliminate that. Three weeks isn't very much so I'd be inclined to stay in Thailand. Weather should be good on the islands on the Andaman coast and also Big Ko Chang and its satellite islands. There's a button at the top of the page with detailed descriptions of most of the islands so you could start by having a look at that.

Why not do the rural motorbiking in Thailand as well? The Mai Hong Song Loop is a classic. If I could ride a motorbike I think I'd go up to Nong Khai and explore the road along the Thai-Lao border but you could go anywhere you like . All you have to do is look at a road map, pick a route and then check out the places you'll be passing through. It's not rocket science! Travelfish has lots of info about non beach areas of Thailand too if you dig a bit and there's also search engine you could use for posts about different places.

I think I'd start with the beach thing and then, if I had enough energy to leave my hammock, do the motorbike trip and escape the invasion of the peak season Christmas hordes.

#2 Posted: 3/8/2011 - 21:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
South East Asia Jan/Feb 2011 ... By sawersy on 30 Jun 2010 9 3348 20 Sep 2010
irish girl living in london travelling South East Asia Jan- April 2011 ... By soloirish on 26 Jul 2010 18 4922 18 Feb 2011
£1800 for s.east asia in october- december? ... By newbiedanielle on 5 Aug 2010 1 2281 5 Aug 2010
Thailand/Asia Lunar Eclipse Times for Saturday December 10 2011 ... By tm2020 on 10 Dec 2011 0 2556 10 Dec 2011
South East Asia-going alone?? ... By bbtomlin on 29 Aug 2014 6 978 26 Sep 2014
South East Asia - Dec & Jan ... By Greatlookinguy on 3 Nov 2012 5 1412 11 Nov 2012
Tired of South-East Asia? try this. ... By sayadian on 29 Oct 2011 2 2908 9 Dec 2011
traveling south east asia alone ... By unphazedd on 16 Feb 2008 13 12345 11 Jun 2013
3 Weeks in South East Asia ... By Tumper on 2 Mar 2010 1 6021 2 Mar 2010
4 Minutes In South East Asia ... By worldlynomads on 9 Sep 2012 0 2371 9 Sep 2012