Southeast Asia forum

1month in SEA,Itinerary advice needed

• seadventure

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2011

Hi All

I am travelling to SEA in Feb 2012 for one month and I would really appreciate some help planning my itinerary. I will tell you what I have in mind but advice from some people in the know would be greatfully appreciated. I fly into Bangkok and plan on spending 2-3 nights here, I was then thinking about flying to PP in Cambodia and on to Siem Reap and explore Angkor Wat for a few days. I then plan on flying back to Bangkok and getting the train to Vientiane in Loas, then heading on to Luang Prabang by bus. From there I plan on getting the slowboat Nagi of Mekong to Chiang Mai and finally flying from Chiang Mai to Phuket. I am then flying to Perth from Bangkok. Is this possible in one month and is this the best route to avoid backtracking as much as possible??

#1 Posted: 17/8/2011 - 17:53

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I think I would dump the Chiang Mai element and go from Bangkok to Siem Reap and then work your way up the Laos Panhandle to Vientiane and Luang Prabang. I don't know if there are flights to Bangkok from L:uang Prabang, but if there are (and someone here will know) then I'd take one and, time permitting, head to Phuket. Remember traveling around here eats a lot of time and it's usually not so comfortable. So fewer destinations and more time in place makes for a more relaxing vacation.

#2 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 01:01

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I haven't been to Laos yet but have been reading up a bit recently in prep for my own upcoming trip. Have been to the other areas you mention thought.

I would say it's probably doable, but you will be losing a day each time you move between cities, so factor that into your planning. The bus ride between PP and SR is a nice one (as far as bus rides go) and gives you a window-view of Cambodia life. It takes about 6 hours all up with an 1/2 hour stop along the way. But there will be another hour of phaffing around being picked up from hotel, waiting, transferring to bus, waiting, waiting!

You're obviously not on a tight budget since you are including flights in your plans - which is good when you are trying to cover a large distance in a relatively short space of time.

Another alternative to consider: Fly direct from Siem Reap to Vientiane ($145USD on Laos Air; not sure whether other airlines do this route, so check it out. That will save you a day or two and would probablywouldn't be costing that much more in total by the time you take into account taxis/trains/buses to get to/from Airports, etc. (Unless you particularly wanted the train trip).

Also - having a quick check on Air Asia, it looks like they fly from Phuket to Perth (with a 4 hr stopover in KL), so no need to fly back to Bkk. This may also be more convenient for you. (But you may already have your Bkk-Perth ticket sorted, of course.)

#3 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 03:22

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Are you coming from Perth or from somewhere else?

Because if you're coming from Perth and haven't already booked your flights here's another suggestion which may save you some back tracking:

Instead of going from Perth to Bangkok you could get an Air Asia flight to KL instead and from there get another Air Asia flight straight to Siem Reap.

After that you could go to Phnom Penh by bus, fly to BKK (Air Asia again) and then get the train up to Nong Khai and Vientiane as you'd originally planned. Or you could skip Phnom Penh altogether and fly straight to Vientiane on Laos Air as Lizzy suggests.

#4 Posted: 18/8/2011 - 05:07

• seadventure

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2011

Hi Guys

Thanks so much for the imput it has really helped with my decisions. As I had not booked any of the flights already I have decided to fly directly to Siem Reap from Dublin, spend a fewdays exploring Angkor Wat then get the 6 hr bus to Phnom Penh and fly to Bangkok from there as flights are working out relatively cheap at €44. I will then get the train from Bangkok to Vientiane, spend a bit of time there, then get a bus to Luang Prabang with an overnight stop in Vang Vieng. Luang Prabang sounds beautiful from what I have read so plan on spending a couple of days there, then the Nagi of Mekong to Chiang Mai . Fly to Phuket from there cost €50. Finally fly out of Phuket to Perth. Thanks SBE for that suggestion.
    I am just wondering what you guys think about dividing my time, for example is there much to see and do in Vientiane? and would you recommend the "tubing" in Vang Vieng? Also has anyone gone on the Nagi of Mekong trip from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai and if so was it worth the money? Sorry for all the questions but if anyone could answer any that would be great. Thanks again.

#5 Posted: 20/8/2011 - 18:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary advice needed - please help! ... By greeneyes1983 on 3 Apr 2012 3 1222 3 Apr 2012
itinerary advice needed - too rushed? ... By malaysiangirl on 29 Jun 2011 5 1740 29 Jun 2011
Advice needed for Laos itinerary ... By Klozknitz on 20 Dec 2012 10 2156 2 Jan 2013
2 weeks itinerary in Vietnam - advice needed ... By blimunda on 17 Nov 2011 9 3778 16 Dec 2011
Laos trip itinerary. Please review and advice if needed ... By v_sokolov on 27 Dec 2008 1 3326 29 Dec 2008
Itinerary advice needed 22days Laos&Cambodia ... By kif on 21 Oct 2010 15 2775 25 Oct 2010
advice from experienced travellers for 3.5week-itinerary needed ... By SebastianX on 5 Sep 2011 6 2316 10 Sep 2011
Itinerary advice needed for Cambodia, laos and Thailand - any thoughts much appreciated! ... By hjbvet on 27 Oct 2010 4 3250 31 Oct 2010
Itinerary advice needed for a 1 week visit to Laos with 2 young kids ... By skwan00 on 16 Jul 2013 5 1072 20 Jul 2013
Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :) ... By reneejordan on 5 Nov 2010 8 20309 6 Mar 2011