Southeast Asia forum

Flying with Air Asia

• PeterJW

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2011

Hi all.

In the next day or too I'm booking a plane ticket to Bangkok and the cheapest seems to be with Air Asia £230 for flight, tax, carbon offset and fuel surcharge. However, with baggage (26kg) and meals (2 of which cost £25!) and choosing a seat (£9) it is £300.

Can I take my own food and drinks on the plane and not pay for the meals? If not are the meals any good? Also has anyone been able to take hand luggage and if so how much in weight?

any info will be really appreciated.

#1 Posted: 13/10/2011 - 23:42

• Advertisement

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

Are you flying from the UK and is this one way? I flew with Air Asia from Vietnam to Bangkok and the airline was a lot better than I expected it to be. I thought you had to pay to reserve a seat but you can remove and skip that option which saves £9, I was still sat with my friend despite this.

I'm guessing you can take your own food and drink as you can with any other airline but obviously you won't be able to buy your liquids until you're through airport security. The food sounds expensive, between Vietnam and Thailand it was really cheap but I didn't have any so I don't know what it's like... However I bought a cup of tea and it was cheaper than in any shops or cafes we went to so I'm surprised the meals are so expensive.

Have you tried skyscanner just in case there are any other cheaper airlines? Flight centre in the UK also guarentee to beat any quote, as do STA travel so may be worth checking around a little bit more so that you can get the best deal possible.

#2 Posted: 14/10/2011 - 00:40

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Excellent full service airlines often have cheaper deals than Air Asia from Europe (eg Qatar, Emirates, Oman Air).

Air Asia doesn't allow you to bring your own food and drink on board (it's written in the terms and conditions) and you have to pay for inflight entertainment as well. I've never flown Air AsiaX but the food on shorter haul flights isn't as good as you get on a full service airline.

Check out a site called "skyscanner" before booking with Air Asia. The site also allows you to compare prices for a whole month if you haven't got fixed dates.

#3 Posted: 14/10/2011 - 11:58

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I'm checking Skyscanner at the moment for someone who wants a flight in Jan. return Feb. but AirAsia consistently comes out well cheaper than other airlines. Unfortunately, they don't mention the add ons. The next best is Sri lanka but with a long stopover. Getting a cheap flight seems to be getting more difficult unless you are willing to have a long stopover.
    I just came from Bangkok to UK with Oman and had 14 hours in Muscat. The airline wouldn't even give me a meal voucher never mind accom.So I spent a less than enjoyable time trying to sleep on metal chairs in ice-cold air-con. So beware the cheap deals unless you like roughing it.

#4 Posted: 14/10/2011 - 12:07

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Depends on what dates the OP wants but Qatar has promotional flights for about 530 quid return to Bangkok at the moment, two hour layover.

#5 Posted: 14/10/2011 - 12:21

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Thankyou all for the replies. It seems on Skyscanner that Air Asia is still the wayto go and has the shortest stopovers. This may differ for return flights Idon't know. If interested please see below for cost breakdown

1 Person £92
    Meal from Lon to KUL £12
    Meal from KUL to BKK £2.37
    Luggage 20Kg £25
    Tax and fees £105
    Fuel £24
    Carbon offset charge £9
    Choose the seat (optional but I am!) £9
    Booking fee £12

Total £290.37

Just one more thing if anyone can help. After beingbent over so hard for the food are drinks free? Everyone I speak to says longhaul flights should have free food and drinks. If drinks are expensive it maybe worth going with another carrier. I am getting my ticket within the next 2hours so if anyone can answer this I'd really appreciate it.

#6 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 00:01

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Sorry forgot to say. This is a price for a flight on the 9th Jan 2012. It doesn't get back to this price until the 16th Jan. If I find out tickets for the 9th are now sold out............

#7 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 00:07

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,

Not sure if i'm adding anything, but check http://www.momondo.com/

#8 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 19:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.