Southeast Asia forum

1 month to see it all!

• DavisDuo

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2011

Hi there,

My husband and I are landing in Bangkok December 12 and flying out from Bangkok Jan. 12. We're traveling to enjoy the food, scenery, get back to the basics and enjoy life. We're not so much into the partying scene. We do like to have a drink every now and again. Not interested in drugs and sex. Just wanting to have a good time and experience the culture. We're outdoorsy. We don't mind not having A/C, we want to trek, obsessed with the ocean (scuba and snorkeling is a must). Maybe do a homestay with a family. Possibly volunteer.With a decent (not extravagant) budget we have the option to fly anywhere to see what we need to see.

I would love input and must sees in and around the places I have listed and also would like to know if I should leave out one place, add another, add or take away a few days here and there.

OR alternatives to flying, we do enjoy a good ground trip.

Just an idea of what I was thinking:

Bangkok: 3 days
    Chiang Mai: 3 days
    Siem Reap: 1 day
    Phnom Penh: 2 days
    Phuket area: 4 days
    Singapore area: 3 days
    and then I have no ideas from there.

We'd like to visit Indonesia. We're overwhelmed with school and work at the moment, so we don't have all the time in the world to research. Help us out!

Any information we can get would help tremendously!

Also, our wedding anniversary is January 1. Any ideas. Decently romantic. :)

#1 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 05:18

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Since you are not interested in drugs & sex, I think volunteer work & a home stay is a great idea for such a short stay on your wedding anniversary - :)

#2 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 05:46

• IHateHulkHo-
    gan

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2011

that seems like a lot to cram into such a small time frame.Something you also need to take into account is the time it takes to get from destination to destination...that will cut some time out of your holiday...Also theres theres the possibility that you might fall in love with a city and wanna stay a lil longer

Pingpong show would be a good idea for a wedding anniversary...lol i kid i kid

#3 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 05:52

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Cut Singapore and add a day to Siem Reap, Cut Phuket & go to Sihanoukville & Kep/Kampot. You'll save a lot of travel time.

#4 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 06:07

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I also feel that you want to squeeze in too much in a short time frame. Any particular reason for Singapore? It is a bit of a distance from BKK and Cambodia - but a short flight. If you skip Singapore then that will allow you to stay in one area and spend less time in an airport.
    1 day in Siem Reap is not enough (IMO). I got a 3 day pass to the temples and it was perfect...for me! And if you want to get back to the basics then Phuket might not be a great choice. It is quite developed and seeing as though you'll be travelling in peak season it will be very busy.
    I would consider this...Landing in Bkk (consider Kanchanaburi, Chaing Mei, Sukhothai...ect) book - in advance - somewhere to stay for your anniversary unless a guesthouse/hostel is what you want. You mentioned diving and snorkelling - I have stayed at The Narima resort on Koh Lanta. It is a bit pricey but for a few days for a special occasion - splurge! The diving near Lanta is great and the island is big enough (and small enough) that you should be able to find some peace and quiet if you want. I think you can fly to Krabi (Lanta) from both BKK and CM.
    You can fly Krabi - BKK - Siem Reap in a day and then decide how to spend your time in Cambodia. I have stayed at the Jasmine lodge in SR. The owner hires impoverished people from the country side and promotes their education. You can arrange everything with the owner (Mr.Khun) including home stays and volunteering.
    Both the Narima and Jasmine Lodge have websites if you wish to check them out.
    And don't bother with Indonesia this time! That's a bit much. Have a great time.

#5 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 10:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The guys are right here, you are all over the map. I definitely cut Singapore and anything south of Thailand. Too much distance. Also going to Kep would seem to be a good beach destination for you. Remember each time you move from place to place, it's costing you at least half a day even if you fly - and often more. And it usually takes three to four days in a place to get your orientation.

#6 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 11:04

• morse96

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011

I wouldnt bother with phuket unless your a fan of middle aged bald men . I was only there for a day and im 25 .kho phi phi is so much nicer!!!! Chaing mai is awsome so relaxed . My girlfriend cut her foot open at a guest house the owner drove us to the hospital not caring about the blood all over his truck,and paid the hospital bill on his credit card !!! One thing you need to take into account is you maybe travelling 10 hours a day so you may need to rest . I know you want to see as much as you can but theres no point if your going to be grummpy and tired!!! Sorry only commented on thailand going laos and cambodia next month myself. Also if you get the chance go to lopbri for an afternoon

#7 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 14:43

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

If your budget is only average, I would consider cutting out Singapore. A real tiny less than average, dumpy hotel room costs about $130 per night there, while you could easily get 3 nights stay in something decent in Cambodia for that.

Also....

To do what your are propsing would take several airline flights as I would imagine spending your time on 10 hour bus rides wouldn't be appealing.

I would think that with only one month, I'd just concentrate on Thailand and Cambodia and thinking whether you like big cities or smaller places and then chosing from there.

Bangkok,PP and Singapore are all huge places. Siem Reap and Phuket may have their quiet parts of town, however, they are busy tourist areas.

It seems that Chang Mai is the only relaxing, laid back destination mentioned so far.
    If you want to mellow things down a bit, consider Kampot and Kep in South Cambodia.

Happy travels!

#8 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 08:18

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

Also regarding Thailand....

Condsider Koh Samui, Kophangan and Ko Tao which are islands all really close together and maybe a better alternative to Phuket. Ko Tao specializes in diving and snorkeling and Ko Phangan will render you a laid back relaxing experience. Rent a motorbike there and tour up and down the mountainous island....awesome!!!

Chang Mai could be really cool in Janruary and can go down to 10 degrees.

Also 3 days minimum is apparently a must in Siem Reap.

#9 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 08:25

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

WOW!!! If im being honest you should pick a few less places. Go to them and experience them. Get a feel of the place and slow things down. You'd appreciate your trip so much more.

Whatever you choose... safe travels

#10 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 07:58

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.