Southeast Asia forum

35 days to Vietnam and Cambotia

• deco

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2011
    Location Cyprus

Hi !!
    i m a 36 m solo traveller planing to visit vietnam starting from hanoi and all the way down to HCM city visiting at least 5 places (halong bay,hue, na trang,mekong delta).All this in about 20 25 days.Then 10-15 days (Phnom pehn,sihanoukville and some islands there and finally Siem Reap).I Would like to travel with plane,if it is possible in order to save time.
    Reccomentations from any traveller is more than wellcome.
    thanks and excuse me for my poor english

#1 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 01:49

• Advertisement

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

We are also going to spend 34 days in Vietnam/Cambodia and including 5 in country flights to get around.

Flights within Vietnam average a very reasonable $65 each and getting around in Vietnam isn't that complicated. I would definitly include Hoi An(airport in Danang) as one of your stops, as everyone seems to love that place.

Cambodias flights are more expensive and there is a new proposed flight between Sihanoukville and Siem Reap supposedly being offered commencing Dec 15th. Thank God for that, as it will cut out an apparently dangerous 10 hour plus bus ride.

35 days to cover a little of both countries is reasonable but it will take some flights for sure.

Happy travels!

#2 Posted: 2/12/2011 - 23:07

• deco

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2011
    Location Cyprus

Kevandjho,thanks a lot.I would like to have as many imformations as possible in order to avoid loosing my time in places with no interest, or spending more days in places that they dont worth it.

#3 Posted: 3/12/2011 - 06:14

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

I'd like to help you a little more however, I haven't been there yet in person and in any case everyones preference is different.

Seems like you are like us and blending in some big cities a beach town and some rest and relaxation on some small laid back Cambodian islands.

According to people who post on the various forums,Siem Reap is a must see in Cambodia.Phnom Penh is worth a few days or more IF you like big cities. Sihanoukvilles beaches can't match Thailands and many people prefer the small laid back towns of Kampot and Kep in Cambodia's south,as apposed to Sihanoukville.

In Vietnam...

It much warmer and favorable weather wise in the south in December/Janruary and the North tends to be cooler at that time.

When are you going? If sunshine is important, plan around the weather.

Other than that....

Hoi An, the Mekong Delta (floating markets) are pretty much must sees.

Sapa and Halong Bay are very popular, but in the North and cooler.
    Nha Trang is a comercialized beach town and can be little cold/rainy in Dec/Jan, so we personally have opted for the more laid back Phu Quoc which is also better weather wise for Dec/Jan.

One place that really intrigues me is Phong Nha and the "Phong Nha Farmstay" as almost 99% of the people who stay there absolutley loved it. It's located in a gorgeous provincial park and has some of the largest caves in the world. It's near the airport in Dong Hoi in the central.Can't wait to get there!!!

Maybe some other people who have actually been to some of those places will chime in to offer you some further suggestions.

Have a great trip!

#4 Posted: 3/12/2011 - 23:24

• deco

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2011
    Location Cyprus

I m going,if its ok with my work ,end of january 2012.
    I also agree with you that in every country u go u have to see the most important landmarks because u may dont go there again.
    For sure i love the beach (im also a scuba diver)so i have to do a little bit of everythig.
    Hoi an looks interesting so most probably im going there as well.
    weather is important because i dont want to carry too many clothes.i prefer to buy from there anything i need.
    Anyway thanks a lot for the help and have a great trip as well!!

#5 Posted: 4/12/2011 - 10:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.