Southeast Asia forum

7 Weeks = Indochina and Thailand, or should we cut Vietnam out of the plan?

• Banana17

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2011

Hi everyone,

Me and a friend will be doing a trip to SEA in May-June and we have 7 weeks.

Now my question: Would you suggest visiting Thailand - Laos - Cambodia only for these 7 weeks, or also making a short trip to Vietnam to visit Hanoi , Ho Chi Minh City, and Ha Long Bay.

We are on a tight budget and will not be traveling by plane. I am aware of the fact that going to Vietnam would include the so called "bus ride from hell" from Vientiane to Hanoi and the very long train ride from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City.

Thanks,

#1 Posted: 27/11/2011 - 17:27

• Advertisement

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Ya, cut it out. Don't spend your trip in busses and trains.

#2 Posted: 27/11/2011 - 21:58

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I agree with Rasheeed. You practically lose a day each time you go to and from a destination.

#3 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 09:02

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

Even if you had airplane money, I think 7 weeks is barely enough time to see 3 countries, let alone four.

We are seeing Cambodia and Vietnam for 5weeks and including 5 in country air fares and even at that it seems crammed.

I would definitly skip Vietnam this time around.

#4 Posted: 2/12/2011 - 22:52

• abstravels

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2012

Me and a friend are planning on doing a similar route for 7 weeks at similar time and having read this are now thinking to skip vietnam too so we get longer at other places.

Do you have a route yet?

#5 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 07:03

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Definitely skip it.

3 weeks Thailand, 2 weeks Cambodia, 2 weeks Laos is adequate but also the minimum you would want in each place.

#6 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 08:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If it were me - and I know it's not - I would cut it to one country if you are doing the "cultural thing" (which is what it sounds like here). The reasons are:

1. To absorb a place you need at least several days. Going to one place and then going somewhere else the next day doesn't allow you to appreciate the culture, just some things.

2. As Tyler points out, each time you go from place to place, you often lose a day in practical terms. Getting to the bus station, waiting for the bus, transit time, finding a new hotel. That all eats time. In general, movement should be regarded as a negative. It's seldom any fun, and it's eating time.

3. Language. Language is culture. As soon as you get off the beaten path, English doesn't cut it anymore. And these are not easy languages to pick up. You need time. So if you are spending one month in Laos, then a month in Cambodia, yhou have enough time to learn and retain next to nothing.

4. People. How can you make any kind of friendships and begin to understand what makes the people tick and how these places function if you don't spend enough time getting to know anyone? The more time you spend in a place, the better your chances for forming meaningful relationships which will help you understand the culture of the environment.

Just my two cents, for what they're worth.

#7 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 01:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand & Siam Reap - 2 weeks, in 2 weeks! Normal trip plan help + Fine Dining? ... By Ahleckz on 11 Nov 2013 3 1465 13 Nov 2013
3 weeks Thailand/Indochina - entry/exit Bangkok ... By davetherave on 3 Sep 2009 2 2364 3 Sep 2009
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thailand - Good Plan? ... By PeterJW on 25 Sep 2011 3 3176 27 Sep 2011
Thailand and Vietnam...starting to plan it out. ... By molocono on 6 Sep 2010 3 2013 8 Sep 2010
Best plan for Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand visas ... By adelene on 10 May 2006 16 10414 7 Sep 2006
Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Vietnam plan ... By tuck60 on 25 Sep 2012 4 1753 27 Sep 2012
Indochina for 6 weeks ... By julesie on 28 Jul 2006 2 2070 3 Aug 2006