Southeast Asia forum

18 year old girl travelling on my own...

• Phiddy

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Should I be worried? I'm travelling through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam (and possibly Bali) for three to four months from January next year. To be honest I'm not too worried because I know that my route is very well trod and that the public transport and internet links are very good etc. but I don't see a lot of 18 year olds (particularly girls) on forums like this who are travelling alone. I will hopefully have a couple of friends who might be in the region at the same time, but I want to travel on my own as I love the independence of it and I want to be able to meet new people when I'm there, so if I do meet with my friends it will be for maybe one or two days.

I personally am confident but I've never even been to Asia, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into and I have to say the idea of arriving at a busy BKK airport in the middle of the night scares me a little. I'm starting to get more nervous mainly because my parents are a bit nervous about me going on my own, which is rubbing off on me. What do you think?

#1 Posted: 1/12/2011 - 16:01

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

We're all nervous the first time :) Click on my GT link below, you'll find plenty of people going the same time as you :)

#2 Posted: 1/12/2011 - 16:33

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

P.S. If you want people to contact you by private message, you'll have to activate that function on your profile.

#3 Posted: 1/12/2011 - 16:36

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

I'm in my 50's and my parents still worried about me traveling to anywhere in South East Asia, so I think that is entirely normal.

While my poor folks worried themselves sick, I was swinging on a hammock by some tropical beach in complete relaxation or talking to some of the most mellow, smiley faced friendly people in the world.

The important thing is send them as many emails as you can, just to ease their burden that most likely wont go away until your safely home.

If you arrive really late in an airport perhaps get a hotel, or someone to pick you up. Other than that stay in the safe areas, especially at night, don't get too intoxicated, be respectful and you should be alright.I've never ever felt unsafe in SEA, but was still allways respectfully cautious.

Hope you have a great time!

#4 Posted: 2/12/2011 - 23:21

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I think you've more or less answered your own questions. You seem confident and and independently resourceful (not true for a lot of 18 year olds) but your parents worrying is rubbing off on you. All perfectly understandable. First time in Thailand back in the 90s two of the first people I met were a pair of 17 year old Canadian girls from some dinky little town traveling for a year around the world and I was way impressed by their maturity and fortitude (maybe you're made of the same stuff). Arriving in Bangkok late at night can be a bit daunting so yeah maybe have a hotel room booked for the first couple nights while you find your feet and decompress. If you stay near Khao San Road or Soi Rambutri (Banglamphu area near the river) you may be shocked to see 1000 other backpackers on their way in or out of the region - very easy to hook up and make travel buddies. Also easy to travel solo - buy train tickets at the train station, buy bus tickets at the bus station (avoid tourist buses from travel agents, thefts are not uncommon) and keep the plan spontaneous. Safety-wise just don't wander around alone at night, especially on the "party" beaches down south, exercise common sense. Thailand is fairly safe for tourists but you still have to take care. At the risk of making you paranoid (LOL) here's an interesting list of "scams" to look out for. http://www.bangkokscams.com Have a nice trip!

#5 Posted: 3/12/2011 - 10:09

• kitebo

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2010
    Location Netherlands
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Hi there! I'm 18 as well, been travelling for 2 months now and still have 5,5 months left...

Long story short: you'll be fine! The only time I've ever felt a bit unsafe was when I got lost at night and some guy kept following me, but walking into the nearest hotel and getting them to call me a cab solved that problem quite smoothly. There will definitely be some weird situations, but other than that, SEA is great, and worrying too much would only spoil your trip.

Plus, most people just don't assume you're 18. I've heard everything from 21 to 32, and only two people have correctly guessed my age. (although being tall helps as well in my case) And as soon as they knew, most people I've met ended up trying to watch over me a bit more, like offering to come with me or pick me up if I went out at night. Problem solved! (Use your intuition and stay alert, though.)

And as Captain Bob said: having a place to stay for the first couple of nights makes life a lot easier when you arrive at night. Just take a cab straight there (have the address in Thai, or at least the phone number of the place, so they can call and ask for directions) or call the place and ask if they do airport pickups. You'll always end up spending a bit more money the first few days. Or at least I do ;)

#6 Posted: 4/12/2011 - 07:31

• Phiddy

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Thanks for the replies! Feeling a lot more confident about it all now :)

#7 Posted: 7/12/2011 - 09:43

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

Its a nerve racking thing, but trust me, Southeast Asia couldnt be a better location to travel. Just keep ya wits about ya as everyone should do in a foreign country.

Happy travels

#8 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 08:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
25 year old girl, travelling Laos, Thailand and Cambodia from May-July ... By danilou on 17 Feb 2011 6 2994 26 Mar 2011
Spring 2010 travel, 19 year old girl, open itinerary, 2 - 3 months ... By molybdenum on 12 Sep 2010 6 1870 26 Nov 2010
girl travelling alone in laos ... By lorinda2107 on 7 Sep 2006 1 3131 7 Sep 2006
Girl travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and maybe China...(Nov-Jan) ... By mentari on 5 Sep 2010 8 3081 18 Oct 2010
23 y.o. boy and girl from New Zealand travelling SE Asia from late December until mid Feb. ... By Mikosterious on 4 Nov 2010 2 1751 16 Nov 2010
21yo Aussie girl travelling alone SE Asia Nov 2010 - Feb 2011. Travel buddies?? :) ... By redcordial on 2 Apr 2010 36 7676 15 Jan 2011
irish girl living in london travelling South East Asia Jan- April 2011 ... By soloirish on 26 Jul 2010 18 4912 18 Feb 2011