Southeast Asia forum

Indochina/Thai for 8 weeks - Help!

• lucasdg

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2011

Hi everyone!

I'm in the midst of planning an Indochina/Thai trip and I've come up with an itinerary for about 50 days (although this is extendable to perhaps 60).

I start in Bangkok, circle up into Laos via Chiang Mai , down into Southern Laos, Cambodia, and up Vietnam to Hanoi. I have figured this is the best loop to complete as I have become very interested in well and truly seeing Laos. Of all the countries I am visiting it appears to be the most laid back and beautiful.

With that in mind, please see my itinerary below. I suspect it might be a bit rushed, but I also don't want to miss out on some of the great destinations.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts and tweaks regarding number of nights spent at destinations, and suggest or subtract destinations too.

My main interests when travelling will be relaxing, walking, motorcycling, eating, hiking, exploring, culture and people. I really need to recharge!

Bangkok - 2 nights
    Sleeper train to Chiang Mai - 1 night
    Chiang Mai - 4 nights
    Pai - 2 nights

Slowboat to Luang Prabang - 1 night
    Luang Prabang - 2 nights
    Vang Vieng - 2 nights
    Vientiane - 2 nights
    Thakhek - 3 nights
    Savannakhet - 2 nights
    Pakse - 1 night
    Tad Lo - 1 night
    Paksong - 1 night
    Pakse (again) - 2 nights
    Don Dhet - 3 nights
    Siem Reap - 2 nights
    Phnom Penh - 2 nights
    Saigon - 2 nights
    Vung Tau - 2 nights
    Nha Trang - 2 nights
    Da Nang - 2 nights
    Vinh - 1 night
    Cat Ba Island - 2 nights
    Hanoi - 2 nights

Thanks guys!

#1 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 00:28

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I have not considered every spot in great detail but I would most definitely suggest spending longer in Luang Prabang, Siem Reap/Temples and Hanoi.

LP - 5/6 days
    SR/Temples - 4 days
    Hanoi - 4/5 days

Consider including Hoi An and Hue and leaving out Danang.

One general point that strikes me about your itinerary is that you are constantly on the move. Don't tie yourself down with such a detailed plan, and consider spending closer to a week in the places you like.

8 weeks - I would consider doing just three countries properly. Potentially fly direct from Bangkok to LP (if possible), thereby giving you an extra week to play around in Laos.

#2 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 04:33

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

If you're going to have a motorbike around Pakse I recommend adding an extra night to Tad Lo to relax and ride around that area checking out the local scenery and waterfalls. You'll get to Paksong not too late in the day to check it out if you only spend one night there so you could take off the next day and catch the waterfalls on your way back to Pakse.
    I'd keep the motorbike and head 1-2hrs south to Champasak for two nights. It's not a place to be missed in Laos. Very relaxed on the Mekong River. You can save time by moving on from there after you stop into Pakse for lunch coming back from Paksong if you are in a hurry to cover ground. Then spend one night in Pakse and head down to Si Phon Don in the morning.

Of course, I'm just adding days to your schedule, but once you get into Southern Laos you should soak up more time outside of Pakse.

#3 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 07:09

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

I know and understand people are very different, thus making different travel styles. This si my view and feel free to take anythign you want from it.

Have a vague idea of the countries, the cities you wish to go to. Keep it vague and your eyes will be peeled for opportunities outside of your plan. Having such a detailed plan, for me, means its going to go wrong. SEA is so east to travel around and its only flights, and soem trains, that require advanced booking. Guest houses are abundant meaning you can just rock up and book a night in most. Its great you are researching as i beleive this is important, but, remember this is time to have fun, and be relaxed. Dont stress too much. Let the wind take you where you feel its right.

Like I said, i am not preaching, and i fully understand peoples different styles and needs. This is just how i would be.

Ride the waves............ and happy travels :)

#4 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 03:15

• lucasdg

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2011

Thanks for your post :-)

I have done a lot of planning but that doesn't mean I'm not flexible. I just like to have an itinerary to fall back on, especially when I've got a reasonable amount to fit in!

I have listened to your critiques and added in more time at Paksong/Tadlo (7 days all up for Pakse, Paksong, Tad Lo)

I have also added more time in Hanoi (4 days) and Siem Reap (4 days)

Leave in 3 weeks.

#5 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 17:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
5 Weeks Thai-Indochina ... By Tarcus on 17 Apr 2007 1 2484 17 Apr 2007
Indochina for 6 weeks ... By julesie on 28 Jul 2006 2 2061 3 Aug 2006