Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

3 week Asia Itineary Suggestions

Posted by steph0426 on 15/12/2011 at 16:48

Hi,
We are a young couple travelling to Asia from April 6-29 for 3 weeks. This is our preliminary itinerary. Please comment!

Apr 6 - Land in Bangkok
Apr 7 - 9 - sightsee bangkok and day trip to Attutaya
Apr 10-11 - Chiang Mai
Apr 12-13 - Chiang Rai (May join tour for CM and CR, any suggestions for tour groups? )
Apr 14-15 - back to bangkok sightseeing
Apr 16-19 - Fly to SiemReap , see Angkor Wat
Apr 20 - Bus from Siem Reap to PP
Apr 21 - PP (more like a layover to go to hk becasue Siem Reap to hk tickets are expensive)
Apr 22-29 - Hong Kong

#1 steph0426 has been a member since 21/6/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 15/12/2011 at 17:40

hey steph,

sounds like a fun trip, but i have a few questions and suggestions too. first, how are you getting to chiang mai? i ask because if you are taking the overnight train from bangkok you can stop off in ayutthaya on the way up and then catch the sleeper train later in the evening. it is a good way to save time and a great experience in and of itself.

second, do you have any specific reasons to go to chiang rai? if not, i'd spend the extra time in chiang mai with maybe a side trip to chiang dao or somewhere else a bit closer.

third, if you can manage it, an overnight in phnom penh may be worthwhile, particularly the stuff down along with waterside.

finally, if you didn't know it yet, the 13-15 april timeframe is the thai new year. it is a really big deal that is a 3-day waterfight in most of the country, lasting even longer in places like chiang mai. transportation will be booked solid so make sure you have your reservations sorted ahead of time. it can be difficult to do much during those dates as the waterfight is everywhere. everywhere. you've also picked the hottest time of the year to visit the area so bring lots of comfortable, lightweight cotton clothes.

hope that helps. have a great time.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.