Southeast Asia forum

first-time to SEA - itinerary crit - Cambodia/Laos/Bangkok

• frangrit

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2011
    Location United States

Hi folks. I'd love your feedback on my itinerary.

I am a first-time traveler to SE Asia, female, in my mid-thirties. The trip is about 5-6 weeks, this winter. I'm joining a friend for some of Cambodia and all of Laos, but will likely be on my own for the rest. I'm not really a partier, have some budget, but not luxe. Hoping to avoid many 6 hour bus rides. Interested in food/cooking, cities, photography, art/culture/language, maybe a little hiking, and generally relaxing.

I'm getting stumped on logistics, so I'll spare you the details and ask only whether this sort of an itinerary is best for avoiding too much backtracking and travel fatigue, while still being able to get a good sense of place, and a good mix of things to experience for a lone traveler with interests like mine. (The Bangkok and island part aren't really flexible.) Too much?

Bangkok (4 nights)
    BKK > PNH (fly, overnight)
    PNH > Koh Totang (3 nights)
    Koh Totang > Sihanoukville (~2 nights)
    Sihanoukville > Kep or Kampot (~3 nights)
    Kep/Kampot > Phnom Penh (~4 nights, friends here)
    Phnom Pehn > Siem Reap (~4 nights)
    Siem Reap > Battambang (~2 nights)
    Siem Reap > Vientiane (~4 nights)
    Vientiane > Luang Prabang > Nong Kiaow (~7 nights, total)
    Luang Prabang > Back to BKK to depart for NYC (~4 nights, total)

Thanks much.

#1 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 13:13

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Looks very doable to me, although you may not need to stay so long in Vientiane. Long bus rides are sometimes unavoidable I'm afraid.

#2 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 13:28

• frangrit

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2011
    Location United States

Thank you, altmtl. Perhaps we'll cut a day from Vientiane — though I suppose there's always the possibility that we could day-trip somewhere from there, too.

Right, long bus trips. I'm steeling myself for them. I know I'll have to squeeze a few in no matter what.

#3 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 14:58

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

You'll have a really relaxed time with LP and NK for 7 nights, consider taking the boat ride up to Muang Ngoi for a night if you want to extend yourself a little and get to a little village with no traffic.

To avoid the long bus-rides have you considered taking a flight from LP to BKK? It may be costly but you'd have that time to extend your trip around Northern Laos or an earlier fight back to BKK and a night or two in one of the spots around there (Kanchanaburi around 2/3 hours out of BKK). Otherwise you could fly from LP to Chiang Mai for two nights and take an overnight bus down to BKK. With 4 nights early on in BKK I don't imagine you'd need more than one night on your return before flying out.

#4 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 22:09

• frangrit

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2011
    Location United States

Caseyprich, thanks for the tip on Muang Ngoi.

I definitely had considered taking a flight from LP to BKK. Because of such limited time, I didn't think I'd be able to see any more of Thailand, but it's tempting to see about flights to Chiang Mai. There's also the possibility that I'll really dig Bangkok, and want to go back. I suppose one of the benefits of free-form travel is being able to arrange these things as you go.

Thank you!

#5 Posted: 17/12/2011 - 07:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Standard Bangkok/Laos/Cambodia itinerary to have a look at! ... By dedwood on 9 Sep 2009 7 3623 16 Sep 2009
3 week itinerary - Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia ... By corion on 18 Nov 2013 3 818 22 Nov 2013
3 week itinerary - Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia ... By corion on 18 Nov 2013 3 707 29 Nov 2013
Bangkok, Cambodia, and Laos in 4 weeks- itinerary advice? ... By curstilace on 9 Apr 2009 2 4367 3 May 2009