Southeast Asia forum

Laptop Concerns

• alljokingas-
    ide

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Hey,

I'm thinking about bringing my newish 11.6" laptop with me to travel for roughly 4 weeks in southern Vietnam, southern Laos, and a few spots in Cambodia. I won't feel all paranoid about buying tickets and whatnot while traveling and it is more comfortable.

I was wondering what experienced folk here recommend for protection.

atm, I just have a DIY netbook sleeve- it's an old hoodie with a fedex envelope liner (water protection [no bleed through after a few minutes under the faucet; magnificent!]) and 1-2 layers of bubble wrap (still in the process of attaching the bubble wrap and a felt/cotton liner). I'm thinking about doin some trekking and will be in motion for a good bit of the trip. I'm not too concerned with sleeve quality, but was wondering if it's sufficient. thanks!

#1 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 19:00

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I just used a neoprene sleeve for mine (purchased for about $4 in Bangkok, Pantip Plaza) for carrying it around in my daypack. I kept the cord with all my other electronics in another small pouch/bag in my big pack. I also carried a small drybag which I put it in when getting dumped on by rain on the back of a motorbike... but a large zip-lock bag would have been just as good.

I didn't do any trekking, but I would just tend to use a bit of clothing to pack around it if you are concerned. You don't want to be carrying anything extra (like bubblewrap!) when on the move all the time.

#2 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 20:20

• alljokingas-
    ide

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Thanks for the reply! I actually caught the forum about gear specifically after posting this. Go figure. During my read, I kept on hearing this drybag. After googling it, it seems like a good choice. Are they available in the SEA or should I just order one prior to the trip?

..But what if I need a place to sleep? What will cushion my head...?

Actually, I'm just working on single or double layer of bubble wrap between fabrics to cushion/waterproof [via tyvek]. So no bubble wrap along the trip. for treking, I'd probably leave that back in storage/a lockbox. I supposed I'm more concerned about general wear and tear from the whole backpacking exp.

#3 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 00:45

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"..But what if I need a place to sleep? What will cushion my head"
    A pillow, of course! (Were you planning on using your netbook?! ) You will have a pillow available everywhere in your travels.

You will be able to get drybags in some parts of Asia - and probably cheaper than at home. But they may not be available everywhere. Honestly, if you put it in a good plastic bag, put that into your pack, and if you have a packcover for when it's raining - that will be adequate.

#4 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 03:56

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

Keep it in a protective sleeve, then ensure you place it in your daypack where it will be protected also. Just remember never to throw your bag as its got your laptop in. Also, keep it with you on buses, trains etc.

#5 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 07:55

• alljokingas-
    ide

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

No, no, just the bubble wrap. Soft, soft bubble wrap. Last year, I remember a few travel buddies I met in Thailand with a netbooks and they were convenient, but ugh- the more I think about it, the more I think about leaving the thing behind

Pros- it's light (11.6" screen and maybe 3 lb, not including the adapter), I'll feel relatively secure if I need to make purchases online (like tickets, etc.), being able to save photos etc., writing , personalization, and convenience, like not having to scramble to get to an internet cafe to find info quickly or surfing the net anytime and whatnot. The travelfish guide books (which'd save me from having to buy and carry the physical copies of books; btw, how are the travelfish guides in your opinions?) Also, privacy, which I generally dig.

Cons- Protection from damage, security against theft, and I'll have to carry the adapter (though it only really is something like 5 lbs total [netbook+adaptor]).

What would you do?

#6 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 23:58

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

Thailand and Southeast Asia are filled with countless internet cafes. Unless you want it for personal use such as writing, photo editing etc then i wouldnt bother.

Anything simple can be done at the internet cafes. If you not too bothered, leave it behind. This is one less stress for you.

#7 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 03:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.