Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Laos to Vietnam

Posted by drutherford on 28/2/2007 at 16:33

Hi everyone

My husband and I were originally planning on doing the recommended Travelfish "The Region trip" (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam). We have 8-9 weeks but we are thinking that it might be abit too much to cram in even though we desperately want to see all 4 countries.

So as an alternative to try and save time we were thinking of doing Thailand, Huoy Xi/LuangPrabang/Vang Vieng/Vientienne then head to Vietnam (Sapa area) via Northern Laos and leaving Sth Laos for next time. We would still do Vietnam and Cambodia in reverse.

Can anybody let me know how easy/hard it is to cross the borders between Laos and Vietnam and also where the best and easiest town is to do so. Do we need to get visa's in advance?

Also is there any information on travelling through Northern region? Is it easy to get transport? Is it safe? Is this a feasible option?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I appreciate your time :-)

Debbie

#1 drutherford has been a member since 2/1/2007. Posts: 22

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/2/2007 at 20:40 admin

Hi Debbie,

There's just been an excellent border crossing report made for the Nameo-Namxoi border crossing -- for info on the other ones, please check the border crossing FAQ.

If you're in a bit of a hurry, look into direct flights from either Luang Prabang or Vientiane to Hanoi -- they'll save a lot of time and are not all that expensive.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.