Southeast Asia forum

Laos to Vietnam

• drutherford

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2007

Hi everyone

My husband and I were originally planning on doing the recommended Travelfish "The Region trip" (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam). We have 8-9 weeks but we are thinking that it might be abit too much to cram in even though we desperately want to see all 4 countries.

So as an alternative to try and save time we were thinking of doing Thailand, Huoy Xi/LuangPrabang/Vang Vieng/Vientienne then head to Vietnam (Sapa area) via Northern Laos and leaving Sth Laos for next time. We would still do Vietnam and Cambodia in reverse.

Can anybody let me know how easy/hard it is to cross the borders between Laos and Vietnam and also where the best and easiest town is to do so. Do we need to get visa's in advance?

Also is there any information on travelling through Northern region? Is it easy to get transport? Is it safe? Is this a feasible option?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I appreciate your time :-)

Debbie

#1 Posted: 28/2/2007 - 16:33

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Debbie,

There's just been an excellent border crossing report made for the Nameo-Namxoi border crossing -- for info on the other ones, please check the border crossing FAQ.

If you're in a bit of a hurry, look into direct flights from either Luang Prabang or Vientiane to Hanoi -- they'll save a lot of time and are not all that expensive.

#2 Posted: 28/2/2007 - 20:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.