Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Cell phones in S.E.A?

Posted by missgeo on 29/12/2011 at 00:24

Hey there,

I'm going to be bouncing between Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam for just over 2 months and I like to have a cell phone with me when I travel just in case of emergencies. When I went to the UK I bought a cheap one in London from Vodaphone that worked everywhere I went. I'm from Canada and I don't have an unlocked mobile so I would need a phone AND a SIM card. If I buy one in Bangkok (cheap junky phone that does the basics - text and call) would that seem unreasonable or pointless to anyone? Does anyone know roughly how much that would cost and if it would work to bounce between countries? Would I have to buy a separate SIM card in each country?

Thanks!

#1 missgeo has been a member since 19/3/2011. Location: Canada. Posts: 9
 Twitter 

Posted by DLuek on 29/12/2011 at 03:33 TF writer

Hi,

Not unreasonable at all... In the past I've always bought cheap but functional phones just for the purpose of being available to family in case of emergency and staying connected. You can pick up a "bare bones" cell phone in Bangkok for around 1,000 baht (this obviously wouldn't be able to run internet but would be fine for basic calling/texting). You'll want to go to MBK 4th floor to buy the phone (take the BTS skytrain, get off at National Stadium, and follow signs to MBK; if you find yourself in the Tokyu department store then find your way out and take the elevator up to 4th floor... there must be about 200+ phone shops there).

On the issue of SIM, you will unfortunately need a different card for each country. You'll be able to get the Thai SIM wherever you buy the phone in Bangkok... I think the non-internet SIM is only around 100 baht, but you'll need to add minutes (another 100-500 baht depending on how much talking you want to do). If you run short on minutes you can top up at any 7/11 or phone shop.

Cambodia is the only country of the four where I've never bought a SIM, but in Vietnam and Laos you can go into virtually any convenience store and buy a new SIM plus minutes. Obviously you'll have a different phone number for each country. I assume it works the same in Cambodia. Any questions feel free to ask.

DL

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,148
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by altmtl on 29/12/2011 at 12:27

I always get a sim card in each country, although I may not get one in Cambodia as I will be there a short time? I wonder in my Thai sim would work from there?

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by DLuek on 29/12/2011 at 20:51 TF writer

A Thai SIM might work just over the border, but it won't work in Cambodia in general.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,148
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by missgeo on 31/12/2011 at 00:43

Thanks for all of your help, everyone!

#5 missgeo has been a member since 19/3/2011. Location: Canada. Posts: 9
 Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.