Southeast Asia forum

Cell phones in S.E.A?

• missgeo

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2011
    Location Canada

Hey there,

I'm going to be bouncing between Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam for just over 2 months and I like to have a cell phone with me when I travel just in case of emergencies. When I went to the UK I bought a cheap one in London from Vodaphone that worked everywhere I went. I'm from Canada and I don't have an unlocked mobile so I would need a phone AND a SIM card. If I buy one in Bangkok (cheap junky phone that does the basics - text and call) would that seem unreasonable or pointless to anyone? Does anyone know roughly how much that would cost and if it would work to bounce between countries? Would I have to buy a separate SIM card in each country?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 29/12/2011 - 00:24

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

Not unreasonable at all... In the past I've always bought cheap but functional phones just for the purpose of being available to family in case of emergency and staying connected. You can pick up a "bare bones" cell phone in Bangkok for around 1,000 baht (this obviously wouldn't be able to run internet but would be fine for basic calling/texting). You'll want to go to MBK 4th floor to buy the phone (take the BTS skytrain, get off at National Stadium, and follow signs to MBK; if you find yourself in the Tokyu department store then find your way out and take the elevator up to 4th floor... there must be about 200+ phone shops there).

On the issue of SIM, you will unfortunately need a different card for each country. You'll be able to get the Thai SIM wherever you buy the phone in Bangkok... I think the non-internet SIM is only around 100 baht, but you'll need to add minutes (another 100-500 baht depending on how much talking you want to do). If you run short on minutes you can top up at any 7/11 or phone shop.

Cambodia is the only country of the four where I've never bought a SIM, but in Vietnam and Laos you can go into virtually any convenience store and buy a new SIM plus minutes. Obviously you'll have a different phone number for each country. I assume it works the same in Cambodia. Any questions feel free to ask.

DL

#2 Posted: 29/12/2011 - 03:33

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I always get a sim card in each country, although I may not get one in Cambodia as I will be there a short time? I wonder in my Thai sim would work from there?

#3 Posted: 29/12/2011 - 12:27

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

A Thai SIM might work just over the border, but it won't work in Cambodia in general.

#4 Posted: 29/12/2011 - 20:51

• missgeo

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2011
    Location Canada

Thanks for all of your help, everyone!

#5 Posted: 31/12/2011 - 00:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cell Phones in Bangkok ... By mreiss on 8 Sep 2012 6 3934 17 Feb 2014
Cell phones and sim cards ... By mattocmd on 2 Jun 2013 1 1195 2 Jun 2013
Calling mobile or cell phones in Kanchanaburi ... By husqvarna on 14 Dec 2009 8 3334 18 Dec 2009