Southeast Asia forum

Seoul Airport

• jonseyo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011

Hi there! I am travelling to Cambodia Jan 16th, flying from Vancouver with a stop-over in Seoul. My concern with the stop-over is that I only have 40 minutes until the flight to Phnom Pehn. Does anyone have any experience with this short of a layover? Am I going to be sprinting through the airport? Any chance my bags will be making it to PP? On the way back I have about 11 hours, so thought I might do a day trip, any one know if I need to arrange a visa/paperwork to leave the airport?
    Thanks for your help!

#1 Posted: 2/1/2012 - 20:02

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Sorry, I can't help you on the quick transit, as I had 10+ hour layovers on both the outbound and return legs of the trip. Travelling on a US passport I did not need to do anything to enter Korea and received a free 90-day visa on arrival. I imagine it is the same with a Canadian passport, but you may wish to check with the Korean Embassy in Ottawa or at the consulate in Vancouver.

I had a great time on a day tour of Seoul on the return leg. It helped to pass the long layover. The Incheon/Seoul airport is a good one too. When I went through they even had free showers in the international transit area. Take a towel with you or rent one there.

Just remember that Seoul will be very cold, particularly compared to southeast Asia, so you may want to have something warm to wear or see if the day tour company still has loaner coats. You can read more at this thread:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/5554_stopover-in-seoul-en-route-to-bangkok

#2 Posted: 2/1/2012 - 20:24

• jonseyo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011

Thanks! I had already read your posts about your day tour! I had actually resigned myself to a very long day sitting in the airport until I found your notes. The way they are with security here I didn't think I'd be allowed out of the airport at all. I am backpacking though, so not much room for warm gear, hope they have some to lend me! And I hope it's not -30 when I get home!

#3 Posted: 2/1/2012 - 20:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.