Southeast Asia forum

Wearing a nice watch when travelling ok ?

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

I'm not talking a 15000£ gold Rolex! but Im waiting for a new Swiss watch coming its about 900£ , an I want to wear it . Will i be ok wearing it on my travels around, I'm heading off next month hope funny. . Around Se Asia
    Don't want to sound like a complete rookie it's just can't seem to find the answer to this question on the net , or maybe inn not looking hard enough .

#1 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 11:27

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Personally, I tend to leave any jewellry, watches, etc at home when travelling for two reasons:

1. In case I lose it (it's just one more thing to keep track of)
    2. Because I don't like the extra attention, inquisitive glances and stares that it may invite. I feel bad enough walking around with an expensive camera as it is. When you are walking around in poor villages where your watch is worth more than a couple years of income to the families you do start to feel conspicuous.

If I want to wear a watch, I tend to pick up a cheapie in Asia (eg $10) and maybe wear a simple band on my finger.

#2 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 13:13

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

Good points, it's a shame will take my plastic watch instead :( , thanks

#3 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 13:37

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I would just take it with you.

If you're concerned about loosing it, in asia or back home, you shouldn't buy it at all. What's the point of having it then?
    And the same argument goes for lizzies 2nd point. Robbery is probably less likely in asia than back home and most likely the average robber is less likely to recognize your watch as being expensive. It certainly isn't a bigger risk than having your camera being robbed or being robbed back home. Just take normal precautions.

And that would only leave your conscience as a possible obstacle when you visit a dirt poor village indeed. But then again, as Lizzy points out, people bring very expensive cameras without giving it any thought.

#4 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 22:41

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

agree with both of the answers given but my personal preference would be to leave it at home. Got enough gizmos to worry about without adding a nice watch to the list

#5 Posted: 20/1/2012 - 06:09

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

My boyfriend leaves his Tag Heuer watch at home when we travel in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, etc. It's not a bling-bling watch studded with diamonds, so the decision is more about him worrying about it getting damaged than it being stolen.

That said, the cheap digital Casio watch he wears when we go backpacking is much more practical! It also has a LED light and alarm which are very useful.

#6 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 21:42

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

If your watch has an automatic movement, you'll need to put it in a watch winder if you decide to leave it behind. It is not good for the movement to wind down and for the parts to remain immobile.

#7 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 02:04

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I would choose a watch based on what you do while travelling. Personally I prefer a large digital display with backlight easy to read during overnight flights/buses/trains, an altimetre and compass for motorbike rides up north, and barometer/depth gauge for snorkelling/diving, and of course travel alarm. Suunto Vector is a excellent choice, but only water resistant to 30m so take care if diving.

#8 Posted: 27/1/2012 - 08:58

• sweetjenife-
    r24

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2012

the decent place for travelling in south Asia most people like to stay and make the holiday trip with their friend in this zone .

#9 Posted: 2/2/2012 - 01:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Winstan
    Where are you going, what are you going to be doing? There's some important variables in there. But, in the aggregate, as long as you are not concerned about forgetting it in some hotel safe somewhere, you can take it without worrying someone is going to snatch it off your arm.

If it actually looks really nice, you gain status points here. Back home flaunting your wealth is considered at best a little crass. Here, it gains you social points.

#10 Posted: 2/2/2012 - 02:52

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Can't honestly tell the difference between the real thing and a good Thai copy unless I examine it.Most people in Asia will think it's a fake ;-)

#11 Posted: 3/2/2012 - 04:09

• Danwowski

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2009

I generally use a cheap and cheerful watch that I won't be bothered if it gets lost/damaged/stolen.

My last watch had to be replaced after DEET corroded the plastic back plate...

#12 Posted: 3/2/2012 - 12:10

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

Well I took with . I've been thailand Laos Vietnam and Cambodia . Most people don't take notice and some take a second look :s every now and then someone will say "hmm that's a nice watch "
    All good so far I never take it off

#13 Posted: 8/5/2012 - 05:18

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Just leave it a home, I use my cheap cellphone to tell the time.

#14 Posted: 8/5/2012 - 06:11

• Winstan

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

An I use my expensive iPhone sometimes

#15 Posted: 8/5/2012 - 11:44

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Expect to lose that watch. I had a cheap Casio stolen out of my hotel room in Hanoi - couldn't imagine why they'd want a $30. watch???

#16 Posted: 8/5/2012 - 12:09

• Bartje83

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2012
    Location Netherlands

Any marketplace throughout Asia sells very realistic-looking fake watches. I guess many people will assume you just bought it there. When I travelled I left my expensive watch back home, but eventually bought a fake Longines Master Collection (real one around 1800 EUR) and never had a single glance at it.

#17 Posted: 9/5/2012 - 04:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thao Nhi guesthouse Ben Tre - nice setting, but watch out for the owner ... By bone on 10 Oct 2009 1 5027 25 Apr 2011
Travelling in Cambodia? Watch out for this guy. ... By somtam2000 on 25 Nov 2012 2 3095 25 Nov 2012
Travelling to Ho Chi Minh? Watch Your Step! ... By CatBa on 6 Jun 2007 0 1608 6 Jun 2007