Southeast Asia forum

Can't miss experiences

• kwal2483

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2012

I will be leaving for SE Asia in October for about 6 months. My itinerary is pretty open right now but I was wondering what are some can't miss festivals/parties/experiences in Southeast Asia?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 10:46

• Advertisement

• Akahige

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2012

Renting a motorbike and driving around northern Thailand, or Lao, or, Vietnam, anywhere in hilly/mountainous areas is an experience of great beauty. It's a bit hard, physically, and of course it's somewhat dangerous. But if you are careful, you'll be as safe as can be and I found it really rewarding.
    I have heard good things about Songkran festival, the Thai/Lao new year, especially in northern Thailand (Chiang Mai, Lampang). Must see by all accounts.
    I personnally had a good time in smaller localities in Lao during the Tet (chinese/viet new year) as many people were just partying it up and invited me to their celebrations, so try to be around areas with vietnamese during their new year^^
    If you're into sports, why not join the Angkor marathon in december?

#2 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 22:01

• kwal2483

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2012

I will definitely look into the Angkor marathon, thanks. I've heard when renting a motorbike there are all sorts of scams is there anything I should do or be aware of?

#3 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 09:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.