Southeast Asia forum

Planning a solo trip for three weeks

• wags3671

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2012

I am planning a solo trip in December for roughly three weeks, ending in Bangkok to meet my boyfriend for another 9 days. During my three weeks solo I am thinking of the following:

- flying into Hanoi, staying there for three nights (maybe do a side trip trekking)
    - then to Hoi An for two nights
    - then down to Ho Chi Minh city and the Mekong Delta for a couple of nights.
    - Maybe Do Phu Quoq.

- Then to Cambodia,
    - Phnom Penh for three nights
    - Siem Reap for four nights

Then to Bangkok to meet him.

What do you all out there think? To much? Enough? Different things? I know one can never leave. I don't want to be super hectic and I will fly where I can.

Look forward to your suggestions
    Thanks
    Andrea

#1 Posted: 4/2/2012 - 16:35

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi wags,

If you have the full three weeks to make this loop as you mention, then I'll think you'll be okay. Even then, however, you may want to scale back the itinerary a bit to make sure you aren't too rushed. For example, you could cut the trek out of northern Vietnam or skip Phu Quoq.

Flying from place to place as you mention can save time, but still takes at least half a day with travel to/from airports, waiting for flights, etc. Moving around too much adds to your costs and takes away precious time from your holiday doing the things you went to do in the first place.

If you arriving in Bangkok at the start of your trip from far away, then you may want to schedule a night or two in Bangkok to recover from the long journey and jet lag. Also, unless you are really interested in Angkor Wat, then three nights in Siem Reap may be enough.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 5/2/2012 - 11:34

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I wouldn't think about adding Phu Quoc since I'm sure you'll be hitting up islands in Thailand. With two weeks in from Hanoi to HCMC I think you should consider flying to Hue and spending a night or two there and then taking the 2hr train to Da Nang, from there its only 20 minutes to Hoi'an. I'm not the biggest Hoi'an fan, but you may like it for two or three nights, that still gives you a good pace if you plan to fly to HCMC.

#3 Posted: 5/2/2012 - 19:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Planning a solo trip - where to start?! ... By AJ on 22 Jul 2011 12 6587 5 Jan 2012
2 weeks Laos trip planning ... By lewks on 8 Jan 2012 2 1292 8 Jan 2012