Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

11 week backpack trip June -Aug 2012

Posted by leah7728 on 14/2/2012 at 01:27

Hi!
I am planning a 11 week trip to Southeast Asia starting in June. Im traveling with 2 other people. I have only backpacked Peru for a month, so I dont know how much is to much to try and fit in with such a large area. I was originally planning to hit Central America but have changed my mind, so I know nothing about what i should see! I have been doing research but it is very overwhelming. Could anyone give me a good starting point? What is worth seeing and what isn't? If you had 11 weeks there what would you do? Right now i am planning on buying a round trip ticket to bangkok. I am interested in Indonesia and temples and good snorkeling! Also, right now I am budgeting $1000 a month per person for food, lodging, travel, and, activities. Does that seem reasonable?
Thanks so much!
Leah

#1 leah7728 has been a member since 14/2/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by chinarocks on 14/2/2012 at 10:55

11 weeks = 3 or 4 countries max.

Potentially,

Indonesia (because you say you like it)
Myanmar / Cambodia (temples)
Borneo / Thailand (snorkelling)

Would obviously require some flying but you have enough time to do it as long as you don't stretch yourself by trying to see too much.

#2 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Posted by wolfiehogan on 22/2/2012 at 05:53

hi ya leah, i am planning a trip the same time as you and am in the same position. but if you go to the planning section off the website, then on the side of the page click in to the where to go section and it gices planned routes that might be off help to you, dunno if this will help you though

#3 wolfiehogan has been a member since 21/2/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by MADMAC on 23/2/2012 at 04:34

Actually you could do all the things you want to do by going to Bali and then heading to Bangkok and checking out temples and snorkle and stuff jumping off from there. Two countries - saves on moving around and visa fees.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by leah7728 on 27/2/2012 at 11:36

Hi! Thank you for your replies! I have been looking around this site, there is just so much info!
I have Thailand figured out, and I was planning on giving each country (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Indonesia) 2 weeks and then I have 3 weeks that will account for some travel time and so i don't need to rush. MADMAC, how much are visa fees are they expensive?

#5 leah7728 has been a member since 14/2/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Pearbear on 27/2/2012 at 15:50

Hi,
I am doing the same trip as you. I leave mid-June and return home mid-September. Am planning to do Bangkok and surrounds, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and North Thailand before heading to Sumatra and mainland Malaysia if there is time.
$1000 dollars is plenty if you are not looking for luxury, and you will have to bear in mind that travel costs will eat into your budget - so if you can limit your travel you would have more money to play with. Visa's are about $20-$25 depending where you go. You need to get the vietnam visa in advance- you can do it from your home country or on the road- but the others you can just turn up at the border and get it issued there.

#6 Pearbear has been a member since 27/2/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by chinarocks on 28/2/2012 at 03:34

Two weeks is not much for countries the size of Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia. It's a personal choice but you will only be scratching the surface of them in that time. Why not cut back on one of them so you will have 3 weeks+ in three different countries, with a couple of weeks slack for delays, places you really like etc.

#7 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.