Southeast Asia forum

11 week backpack trip June -Aug 2012

• leah7728

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2012

Hi!
    I am planning a 11 week trip to Southeast Asia starting in June. Im traveling with 2 other people. I have only backpacked Peru for a month, so I dont know how much is to much to try and fit in with such a large area. I was originally planning to hit Central America but have changed my mind, so I know nothing about what i should see! I have been doing research but it is very overwhelming. Could anyone give me a good starting point? What is worth seeing and what isn't? If you had 11 weeks there what would you do? Right now i am planning on buying a round trip ticket to bangkok. I am interested in Indonesia and temples and good snorkeling! Also, right now I am budgeting $1000 a month per person for food, lodging, travel, and, activities. Does that seem reasonable?
    Thanks so much!
    Leah

#1 Posted: 14/2/2012 - 01:27

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

11 weeks = 3 or 4 countries max.

Potentially,

Indonesia (because you say you like it)
    Myanmar / Cambodia (temples)
    Borneo / Thailand (snorkelling)

Would obviously require some flying but you have enough time to do it as long as you don't stretch yourself by trying to see too much.

#2 Posted: 14/2/2012 - 10:55

• wolfiehogan

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2012

hi ya leah, i am planning a trip the same time as you and am in the same position. but if you go to the planning section off the website, then on the side of the page click in to the where to go section and it gices planned routes that might be off help to you, dunno if this will help you though

#3 Posted: 22/2/2012 - 05:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Actually you could do all the things you want to do by going to Bali and then heading to Bangkok and checking out temples and snorkle and stuff jumping off from there. Two countries - saves on moving around and visa fees.

#4 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 04:34

• leah7728

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2012

Hi! Thank you for your replies! I have been looking around this site, there is just so much info!
    I have Thailand figured out, and I was planning on giving each country (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Indonesia) 2 weeks and then I have 3 weeks that will account for some travel time and so i don't need to rush. MADMAC, how much are visa fees are they expensive?

#5 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 11:36

• Pearbear

Joined Travelfish
    27th February, 2012

Hi,
    I am doing the same trip as you. I leave mid-June and return home mid-September. Am planning to do Bangkok and surrounds, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and North Thailand before heading to Sumatra and mainland Malaysia if there is time.
    $1000 dollars is plenty if you are not looking for luxury, and you will have to bear in mind that travel costs will eat into your budget - so if you can limit your travel you would have more money to play with. Visa's are about $20-$25 depending where you go. You need to get the vietnam visa in advance- you can do it from your home country or on the road- but the others you can just turn up at the border and get it issued there.

#6 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 15:50

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Two weeks is not much for countries the size of Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia. It's a personal choice but you will only be scratching the surface of them in that time. Why not cut back on one of them so you will have 3 weeks+ in three different countries, with a couple of weeks slack for delays, places you really like etc.

#7 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 03:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
JUNE 2012 SEA TRIP-LOOKING FOR TRAVEL BUDDIES ... By LizSeaTraveler on 2 Jun 2012 4 1956 19 Jul 2012
Quiet beach for 1 week trip in June ... By worldchaski on 10 May 2009 10 5521 7 May 2010
8 week trip to Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam in June-August...your thoughts and help please? ... By mrnice88 on 25 Apr 2010 5 4593 5 Jul 2010
31/m backpack tour Thailand NOV 2012 - looking for travel buddy(s) ... By dragon_at on 16 Sep 2012 6 1140 28 Oct 2012