Southeast Asia forum

Traveling alone is SEA

• sausage19

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2012

I am planning on starting a 9 month long trip to Southeast Asia this September and I am a little worried about traveling alone as a 22 yr old female. Everyone back home is worried about my safety and even though I have read countless articles about how safe Southeast Asia is, I am still not convinced. I have never backpacked anywhere and was wondering if this was a safe/smart idea???

#1 Posted: 14/2/2012 - 15:06

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The people back home worrying about it have likely never travelled to SEA - am I right? So they are primarily speaking out of concern for you, and ignorance of travelling in SEA.

Look at how many people post on TF - and you rarely hear of any problems. Yes, there are the occasional pickpockets, bag grabs and other thefts (although I've never had problems....). But from a personal safety perspective, you will be fine - as long as you are sensible! ie don't go wandering the streets or tubing when drunk, take care if you really need to go to the full moon parties, don't flaunt your valuables, wear a helmet when on a motorbike, look both ways (twice!) when crossing the road.. the usual precautions that you would take at home anyhow. And read all the common-sense guidelines on this site (and others) - eg scams and buses to avoid in Bkk, etc).

If you want some inspiration, read this post: http://travelhappy.info/travel-tips/seven-reasons-to-go-travelling-solo/ It's an old-ish post, but it still gets hit with lots of good comments.

#2 Posted: 14/2/2012 - 15:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It's extremely dangerous here and you have to be really careful. With the civil war still on going and Al Shabab... oh wait, that's Somalia.

This is a very safe place to travel around. The only two cautions I would give is:

1. If you've been drinking and moving about at night be somewhat cautious. I would pretty much give that advice anywhere in the world.
    2. Don't go to remote places like some national parks and wander around alone. Rapes and murders of young women doing this, while certainly not common, do occur. In cities, where there are lots of people around, you are much safer. Wrong person stumbles upon you in a remote environment, that can (and has) spell bad news.

#3 Posted: 15/2/2012 - 02:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.