Southeast Asia forum

5 weeks in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia? Or only Thailand and Laos?

• kavs101

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Travelling to Asia in the summer to Hong Kong for a week then to south-east Asia arriving in Bangkok. I have drafted a rough itinerary travelling to the south of Thailand then to the north and into Laos. Is it overambitious to try to include a bit of Cambodia or should I skip it and focus on Thailand and Loas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 20:58

• Advertisement

• hutty

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2009

You will have to cover a LOT of ground if you are going from Bangkok, then to the south, then back to the north of Thailand, through Laos and then to Cambodia.

Maybe you could skip the south of Thailand and go to a beach in Cambodia instead if you wanted to visit the country?

Jus sayin

#2 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 21:20

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

If you want to see both the North and South of Thailand in any detail, then I would skip either Laos or Cambodia, probably Laos as it is a bigger country (I believe) and a bit slower to travel around.

#3 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 04:30

• lucasdg

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2011

I reckon you could do it actually. If you started in Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao, headed to Bangkok, overnight train to Chiang Mai, you could do that in 2 weeks no worries. You could head into Laos, LP, VV, Vientiane, Thakhek, Pakse, that again could be done in a couple of weeks. Then spend a few days each in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.

I am planning a similar trip at the moment and you will be on the move a bit but I think it is doable. If you HAD to get rid of something maybe eliminate Cambodia and save it for a Cambodia-Vietnam trip in the future.

#4 Posted: 13/3/2012 - 19:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would just do one country. This is a recurring theme here, but SEA isn't about seeing things. There are things to see, but there are much more interesting things to see in Europe. Go there for sight seeing. Here it's about the pace of life. There is no better place for chilling out that then this region. Racing around from place to place, getting on shitty ass bus after shitty ass bus all the time defeats the purpose. Take it slow, don't fix yourself to a timeline - let yourself unwind and relax. That's the beauty of this place.

#5 Posted: 13/3/2012 - 22:45

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Without being clear on what 'the summer' means - I'll assume July/August, so it is 2 months with a week in Hong Kong (that'll cost you, hope you have a friend to stay with - make sure to do the Dragon Back Ridge Trail for a morning excursion if it isn't too humid).

I agree with lucasdg, if it is 2 months you can certainly see some highlights and have some relaxing time in some spots - though you may find yourself skipping places you'd have like to check out. It really does depend on how much you want to see in each country and how much you like to stay in one place and relax.

It is easy enough to fly to BKK from HK, jump onward to a set of islands to relax for a week or two, then fly straight up to Chiang Mai or overland in two days there skipping spots between BKK and CM. You can explore the area around Chiang Mai for two weeks, or spend three days there, depending. The trip to Vientiane from there could cover a week via Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng - or it could take two if you want to overland through Luang Nam Tha and stop of in Nong Kiaow/Mung Ngoi. Depending on your pace, once you get to Vientiane, check your schedule and if you still have plenty of time work your way down through Southern Laos (Pakse, Tad Lo, Champasak, 4,000 Islands)to Cambodia, or fly to Siem Reap if you're behind schedule.

#6 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 04:45

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

in Hong Kong, what's the Dragon Back Ridge Trail?

where abouts is it located in HK? i was there last year, will go back again, so it's something worth checking out??

thanks

#7 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 06:58

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/promotions/greatoutdoors/eng/html/hikings/hikings_dragon.html

it's a nice walk with a good view - recommend catching the bus at the bottom of the trail down to Shek O village for lunch and check out the small beach there.

#8 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 07:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
thailand,cambodia & laos in 3 weeks?? ... By halongbay07 on 4 Mar 2009 4 2703 7 Mar 2009
Thailand, Laos, Cambodia - 5 weeks ... By catty1987 on 2 Mar 2011 18 4400 23 Apr 2011
3 weeks in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia ... By ross8 on 19 Jun 2012 2 2420 20 Jun 2012
5 weeks in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia ... By jwheld2 on 1 Dec 2013 4 660 5 Dec 2013
3 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia and/or Laos ... By awnyc on 2 Aug 2010 1 2109 2 Aug 2010
7 weeks in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia ... By Cary on 1 Jan 2010 5 2714 3 Jan 2010
4 weeks Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia ... By babiguling on 13 Apr 2010 5 6467 4 May 2010
6 Weeks in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand ... By carzyyy on 13 Apr 2013 5 1959 14 Apr 2013
Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam in 7 weeks ... By Dankpc on 19 Nov 2013 11 890 27 Nov 2013
Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and a bit of Thailand in 5 weeks ... By sven365 on 16 Jun 2010 1 3780 17 Jun 2010