Southeast Asia forum

Where to go in August?

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Hi everyone,
    sorry for cross-posting, didn't see this subforum before.
    My boyfriend and I are planning our yearly holidays and they will, again, take place in August -- not our fav. month for this but it can't be helped. Anyways, my boyfriend were thinking of going toCentral America/ South America, but ended up wanting to go to Asia once again -- it's simply our dream destination smile.gif

We're on a rather tight, but not super tight budget of around 100 USD a day(excluding flights) between the two of us and we'd like to go for approx. 4 weeks.
    Since we've been to Thailand and Indonesia the last times, and ideally we'd like to go somewhere new. I've also been to Laos, Malaysia and Cambodia on my own before, but only to see very few places, so these are still options. Ideally, we'd like to spend a few days, a week, snorkeling, but it's no must.
    Apart from all this, we're pretty much completely open about where to go. Maybe I should add, that we have been thinking about places:
    China, Mekong delta, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia main, Borneo, Burma

Suggestions would be super welcome smile.gif

#1 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 17:18

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

In all honesty, with a forum and website such as this that is full of inspiring information, surely you could at least come up with some ideas that grab you? I think I can speak for many in that we are more than happy to help with specific planning questions - but we're not your collective travel agent!

It sounds like you have had some experience and knowledge of SEA - so what grabs YOUR interest? What places have you been to that you think your partner might be interested in? You tell us about your budget, but not what excites and interests you with respect to travel.

I'm not trying to be rude.. but I'm not going to spend my time dreaming up holiday plans for someone else. You have to help yourself before asking others to help, in my humble opinion. :-)

#2 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 18:09

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

If you like things like snorkeling and nature I'd strike China off the list. Anywhere you're going to consider interesting in China is going to be very touristy, lots of groups, and crowded with people and trinkets. Also, the only really nice beaches aren't very accessible as concerns the more rustic sites of Guangxi and Yunnan.

If you are going in August - start with a search of climates and find a place that isn't too rainy that time of year. That's what I would do at least. Hence - I've got 3 weeks in June and even though I'd really like to go to Cambodia I'm skipping it and heading to the less rainy Java.

#3 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 20:32

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Sorry, I didn't want to offend anyone ;-( I've also been to most countries in SEA so it's not that I have no clue, I just wanted to hear opinions, since I just can't decide..

caseyprich, I went to Cambodia in August a few years ago and it was fantastic, not too rainy, but hardly any tourists, even in Siem Reap. I've also been to Java last year in August, weather was of course fine too.

#4 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 07:23

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

caseyprich, another thing: I read somewhere that China is supposed to be less busy in August, since there are basically no local tourists.

#5 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 07:24

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Not from my experience - all the kids have summer holiday and it is peak season for tour groups, flights, etc. Areas like Yunnan will be flooded with families on holiday, high school and university friends traveling locally as they can't afford international, etc. Simply imagine how many students and teachers there are in China. Now, to note - from experience I rarely am traveling in China at that time, but I have in July and places are busy. In August I'm usually back in Shanghai so I can't say there is much more of a rush of people - just the usual.

All that said - if you are interested in China and haven't been, you will certainly have a much different experience than you would in Southeast Asia, if you have already been there. The natural beauty would require getting away off the beaten track, but even if you stay around the hubs you'll find some very pretty scenery in Yunnan, Sichuan and Yangshuo - but they will be very touristy. If you are especially thinking more well known sites like Xi'an and Beijing, you should expect them to be very busy.

The best time to have no local tourists around in China is to come during the fall when it isn't too rainy, but avoid the start of October (Golden Week) and Mid-Autumn Festival. When China has public holidays, they are serious about everyone getting the day off.

I'll keep Cambodia in mind for next summer - thanks.

#6 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 07:58

• stacycruz143

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2014

August is the ideal surfing month in Sri Lanka.Someone like me who loves surfing can go to Arugam Bay in Sri Lanka, and with Sri Lanka's amiable weather there's a lot of things to do and see. If you are tired of beaches, you can go watch festivals, go to national park or ancients cities in Sri Lanka. I don't know what else to ask, I simply love Sri Lanka and whenever I think of August - the first place that comes in my mind is Sri Lanka.
    If you want to know more about travelling in Sri Lanka, you can go check my blog: Memolanka.

#7 Posted: 15/7/2014 - 13:54

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

If you are tight on budget, have to go in August and want to do some fantastic snorkling:

Have a look at Bali. Especially the north of Bali. Easy to get there from Bangkok with AirAsia. Transfer from airport to the north with private driver aprox 30 euro per car. Rooms are quite cheap. I pay 18 euro for a "beach" bungalow with breakfast. The food in the warungs is really cheap. Fish of the day BBQ with rice for about 2 euro. But the beaches are rocky, so no relaxing on sandy beach but fantastic landscape, lots of good hikes, awsome snorkling and freediving (Liberty wreck) and great food and super friendly people.
    Scuba is quite cheap also and a great spot to do some discover scuba dives.

#8 Posted: 16/7/2014 - 01:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.