Southeast Asia forum

Trip advice please!

• Abhisek

Joined Travelfish
    29th February, 2012

Hi,

I will be traveling from India around May-June to Phukut and from there I plan to backpack for a couple of weeks in Thailand and maybe Vietnam. What I want to know is can I cover any other country? Or maybe go to Vietnam and some other country if not Thailand?
    And yes. Where all to go?

Thanks a ton.

#1 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 07:41

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

If you want any actual assistance you have to give us a little more than this. What do you want to do? How much time do you really have? Ect...ect...

#2 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 08:11

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

A couple of weeks? 2? Then I'd stick to Thailand . 3? Still might be best to stick to Thailand as there is a lot to explore . . . If you're already in Thailand no reason to jump off to Vietnam and another country before you've explored it thoroughly. You'll be leaving Phuket in June? or India in June? Keep in mind that parts of Vietnam get very wet in July and August.

#3 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 20:08

• Abhisek

Joined Travelfish
    29th February, 2012

@ tyler: Thanks for for reply. I can extend my trip for up to 3 weeks. I don't want to stay in a 5 star and lounge around the pool or something like that. I want to explore the places, the markets, the food, the night life and yeah, if possible do some extreme sports/hike/trek, etc. Thats all. A better answer would be: Just take my bag and go from place to place, exploring, eating, meeting people, etc.

@ caseyprich: Thanks for for reply. I would love to be in Thailand but I figured, since i am taking a break from work, i can check out someother country. I can extend the time upto 3 weeks. I would be leaving india in May i guess. Ok Vietnam would be wet in July and August.What about May? and would Thailand be hot and humid too?

#4 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 00:33

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Sure, everywhere will be hot and humid, I mean rains. So you work in Thailand? May is the start of the summer heat in Vietnam, but the tourist crowd is supposed to be waning and I've been told that is a nice time to visit when the weather across the country is amiable enough.

#5 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 01:16

• Abhisek

Joined Travelfish
    29th February, 2012

No dude. I work in India. I was planning to visit Thailand and maybe a couple of places for a short trip. So April/May/June isn't a good time to visit? when do you suggest?

#6 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 01:29

• Abhisek

Joined Travelfish
    29th February, 2012

Any more replies??

#7 Posted: 6/3/2012 - 01:34

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I have been in Thailand in April the past few years. If you live in India I doubt you'll find it too hot. 3 weeks? Starting in Phuket ...
    Traveling south by ferry/speedboat is a great way to see the south islands. Maybe Phuket - Lanta - Lipe...? And you can return by bus or train to Krabi . You'll have to connect through BKK to fly to Siem Reap or Phnom Penh but it is simple to do. I'd suggest flying to either Cambodia or Vietnam from Thailand to save some time. And fly back to India via PP and BKK...
    Check out Preah Vihear near Siem Reap to get away from the tourists...some snorkeling, diving, beaches (Thailand), nightlife (Thailand, SR and PP), night markets, killer sunset on Lipe, scenery on the train, bus and boats...extreme sports - try some rock climbing near Krabi - some might not consider that extreme though :)
    I can't comment on the weather after May as I have already headed home by then! Hope this gives you some ideas. Poke around on the site some more, you might find some other islands you'll want to see. But I think the route makes sense and is manageable timewise.
    My experience in Vietnam is very limited so I'll leave that to other more experienced people.
    Good luck!

#8 Posted: 6/3/2012 - 05:09

• Abhisek

Joined Travelfish
    29th February, 2012

Thanks Tyler for the detailed reply! This will help a lot!

Cheers!

#9 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 05:52

• deespyder

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hello everyone! I am a Filipino working in Thailand for 6 years now. I will be traveling by train from Bangkok to Singapore. I absolutely do not have any problems with anything because I have been a backpacker for quite sometime now.

My real deal now is a bit different. I will be traveling with a 17-year old Thai. I have a lot of Thai friends and one of them asked me if their son can go with me to Malaysia and Singapore. So I said "yes" until realizing that he was still 17 years old.

Would it be an issue if I will be traveling with him? I am 31 years old. Would there be any problems in the borders of Malaysia and Singapore? I tried to find some information on the internet but the more I browse, the more I get so confused... I hope somebody could give me some enlightenment... Thanks a lot!

By the way, we will be traveling on April 18-23...

#10 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 05:56

• Advertisement

• deespyder

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2010
    Location Thailand

@ Abishek... you could definitely go backpacking covering Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam in a week... I live and work here in Thailand for 6 years now and as far as weather is concerned, it seems like most of the time, it is hot in Thailand... most tourists here in Thailand said that there are 3 seasons in this country - hot, hotter, and hottest... lol... anyway, May would also be a good month to stay in Thailand... coz it would still be sunny and hot all throughout the month...

#11 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 06:15

• Abhisek

Joined Travelfish
    29th February, 2012

Oh fantastic! Thanks the reply.

I am sure I would be ok with the weather since I am from India!

#12 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 09:07

• Abhisek

Joined Travelfish
    29th February, 2012

All right! Finally I am leaving the 22nd of June for Thailand and Vietnam.

Finally :)

#13 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 05:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.