Southeast Asia forum

South east asia travel

• journeyinga-
    sia

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2012

HI All,
    This is my first post and I'm excited to receive advise on my upcoming travels!

I have quit my job (yay!) in Chiang Mai where I have been living for the past 2 years and now am planing to travel May through June.

I am thinking about traveling by land to Kunming,China and taking 3 weeks or so doing that. I am then wanting to explore Malaysia and Indonesia for 8 weeks.

I am looking for destination suggestions, transport advice, budget idea's, visa info and best beaches etc....

I am on a budget as I am now unemployed! I am happy to travel by public transport, stay in basic accom, and am not really in to the big tourist crowds or party scene.

Any info on traveling from Chiang mai to Kunming would be helpful too!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

#1 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 03:27

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Well, you can overland from Northern Laos into China fairly easily if you setup your Visa into China before you get to the boarder. 3 weeks is ample time to get to Kunming - there isn't that much to see between Laos and Kunming, a stop in Jinhong will lead you onto a few side trips around xishuangbanna, not necessarily as nice as you'll get in Northern Laos though. If you cross in at Huay Xia maybe take the boat down to Luang Prabang (a not to miss). From there, with the time you have, you could go out to the Jar of Plains and loop back the long way via Sam Nuea and around to Nong Kiaow/Mung Ngoi. From there head up to Luang Nam Tha and Mung Sing and you'll be able move back to the border at Mengla.

If you like you could probably take a trip down to Vang Vieng and Vientiane then double back to the north as well if you don't like the idea of heading out to Phonsovan. A few years back I took a trip from Kunming and did a loop as the one I outlined above (minus Luang Nam Tha) and it took roughly 3 weeks. Perhaps save some time on your arrival to Kunming to check out the Stone Forest, I haven't, but it looks pretty cool.

#2 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 07:11

• journeyinga-
    sia

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2012

Thanks Caseyprich!
    This is helpful. I am also curious what the process is to get a visa for china in chiang mai?
    Can anyone offer advise for Malaysia or Indonesia? What should I not miss?

#3 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 00:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
South East Asia travel tours ... By subs17 on 5 Aug 2013 3 796 22 Aug 2013
Help me with South East Asia Travel Itinerary ... By charms204 on 30 Jun 2013 5 1326 1 Jul 2013
Travel Itinerary for South East Asia ... By kyleladlol on 21 May 2013 1 925 21 May 2013
Travel South East Asia - Advice please ... By leannezoe on 4 Oct 2014 3 341 6 Oct 2014
South East Asia-going alone?? ... By bbtomlin on 29 Aug 2014 6 993 26 Sep 2014
South East Asia - Dec & Jan ... By Greatlookinguy on 3 Nov 2012 5 1413 11 Nov 2012
3 Weeks in South East Asia ... By Tumper on 2 Mar 2010 1 6023 2 Mar 2010
July in South East Asia! ... By Goodmango on 17 Apr 2012 11 5104 2 Dec 2012
Dressing in South-East Asia ... By flipflip on 20 Mar 2011 2 5054 20 Mar 2011
traveling south east asia alone ... By unphazedd on 16 Feb 2008 13 12352 11 Jun 2013