Southeast Asia forum

Help Planning S.E.A 2months...

• kleenmikey

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2012

Hi we are planning a year travelling, and our plan is to fly to Perth in July (2012) for 6 months staying and working with family, travelling around Oz for 1 1/2 months, visiting NZ for a month, back to Oz for month and a half again then going to S.E Asia for the remainder of our year so we'll prob have about 2 months (May-Jul). The flight we're booking will fly into Bangkok then leave Bangkok for home. We want to visit Vietnam Laos and Cambodia and then end the trip with a beach break maybe in Phuket, and perhaps visit the Islands as well but we don't kow much about it and wndering the best itinerary to do, or just best direction to travel in and best method, we'll probs be doing it on a budget. Any help or advice will be amazing, we're first time travellers!

#1 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 08:21

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

With all due respect, you will generally get short shrift on here if you ask the contributors to make up a dream trip for you. Without stating your own interests, any countries you think you might like to visit, whether you class yourself as a slow or fast traveller etc, it is very hard for people to make recommendations for you.

If you want detailed advice then maybe come back with a few thoughts and then people will contribute.

#2 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 08:35

• kleenmikey

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2012

With all due respect I am not asking anyone to make up a 'dream trip' for me lol I am perfectly capable of planning my own trip! :) And if you read above I have stated exactly what countries we want to visit :)

I am simply stating we have two months so plenty of time, our interests are the same as all gap year travellers in the respect that we want to see what we can. All I was really asking was the best way to do it as in;

Bkk- laos- vietnam- cambodia- Bkk then Phuket at the end. Or mapwise would that not make sense and what have other people done really, we can decide our own lengths of time etc and obv we can decide exactly what we personally want to visit, it was just the direction we wanted a bit of advice on if it was possible.. Thanks :)

#3 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 09:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'm afraid China is right here. You are just short on info. What do you like? What do you not like? Do you have specific interests? Are you coming to travel or relax (please don't say both). Do you want to see a lot of things, do a lot of things, or experience culture? These things are all in conflict with each other to some degree, so the more you information you can give the "experienced travellers" the better they will be able to help you plan. Because otherwise they'll just tell you what they want to do if they have the time and money.

#4 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 13:08

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Check out these suggested itineraries as a starting point: http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/

Scroll down to the ones titled 'The Region'.. and this will give you a want to take into account weather, to avoid the worst of the rainy seasons, etc. On this website, there is a weather link for each country that will give you an idea of weather specific to the country.

And if it were me, I'd want to avoid the popular areas during peak seasons.

#5 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 04:18

• kleenmikey

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2012

Thanks Busy Lizzie, as I'd said above were going in may till july so its prob not peak season so shd b ok but thanks your advice has been the only help lol!

Think I'll try another forum for simple advice on travel direction didn't realise I'd need to provide a list of personal hobbies and interests just to ask the best direction to travel round :s

#6 Posted: 11/3/2012 - 12:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Direction is easy if you don't care where you are going except for the four countries listed.

Take the train from Bangkok to Nong Khai. Cross into Laos there.

Go to Vientiane , VV, Luang Prabang. You'll have to double back to Vientiane unless you want to go to Vietnam taking the bus from hell. Fly to Hanoi .

From Hanoi you can visit Halong Bay, Sapa. Then take the train to Hue . From Hue you can proceed to Nah Trang. From there to Saigon. These are long legs, not short trips. If you want to traverse the length of Vietnam, be ready to do some painful bus or train travelling or fly from Hanoi to Saigon.

From Saigon you can go via bus or plane to PP, Cambodia. From PP over to Siem Reap. From Siem Reap, fly back to Bangkok.

Remmember that to visit these four countries you are covering a lot of ground and the transportation infrastructure isn't always very good, reliable or comfortable. Which is why I would visit all four of these countries in a go. But that's up to you.

#7 Posted: 11/3/2012 - 22:33

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

MAC, gonna leave my house in a few minutes, not sure if I should go right or left. What do you think?

#8 Posted: 11/3/2012 - 23:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Take a left and visit the dark side.

#9 Posted: 12/3/2012 - 02:28

• lucasdg

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2011

Hi Mikey,

Most people travel clockwise Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Luang Prabang-Vang Vieng-Vientiane-Hanoi-Hue-Nha Trang-Saigon-Phnom Penh-Siem Reap and back to Bangkok.

That itinerary misses out southern Laos which I have included on my itinerary but it depends how much time you have. I have 2 months but I've been to Thailand so will only spend a bit of time there, with most time in Laos and Vietnam, with Cambodia being a shorter stop (about 9 days). Your Phuket plan adds a lot of time and money. Perhaps think about Ko Chang or something on the way back to BKK.

#10 Posted: 13/3/2012 - 18:38

• Advertisement

• kleenmikey

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2012

Hi Lucas,

I chose a rubbish screen name lol I was tryin to combine mine and my boyfriends, im Klee lol thanks so much for that information that was all I was really looking for and not everyone has been that friendly about asking for help! So thanks so much I'll have a look at that itinerary and maybe take your advice on Phuket, we just really wanted a beach break before going home so I'll look at Ko Chang, booking our flights tomorrow so not long to go! I'm going to research each place more to decide where I want to spend most time as I've never been at all but Vietnam sounds like a lovely place :) Again, thanks so much.

#11 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 04:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Or you could hit the beach when you are either in Vietnam or Cambodia, since you will be transiting near some beaches there as well.

#12 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 23:03

• kleenmikey

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2012

Thanks thts a gd idea as well I'll have a look at that as well wish I was already there lol

#13 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 08:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.