Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

3-4 mths thailand, laos, cambodia, vietnam

Posted by brevan on 14/3/2012 at 10:04

Hi,

in december I leave for 3-4 months to explore Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Would you pls check the itinerary? Is it realistic in that time if I travel over land or should I take flights? If you have better options instead of certain locations in my itinerary, pls let me know. If there's enough time even other countries are possible. Pls comment and thx for the tips in advance.

Itinerary:
http://maps.google.be/maps/ms?msid=213848993559035957185.0004baa2d47f5c6eecac4&msa=0

Thx!

Gr Brevan

#1 brevan has been a member since 14/3/2012. Posts: 10

Posted by chinarocks on 14/3/2012 at 11:34

I won't comment on the intricacies of your itinerary other than to say well done for not planning too rushed a trip. At an average of 3-4 weeks per country, you will have time to relax, absorb the culture and not feel like you are spending too much time on buses, trains and planes.

Also, be flexible with your route. By all means have an outline, this is definitely preferable, but don't try and stick too rigidly to it as there times you will want to go back to a restaurant, bar, lady (or man) that would otherwise not be possible if you moved on. You will also hear stories that may turn you off going to places you had previosuly planned on visiting.

Basically, have a rough outline but just wing it. It's what SE Asia is made for.

#2 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Posted by swebb92101 on 14/3/2012 at 23:44

Just wing it! Great advice.

#3 swebb92101 has been a member since 3/3/2012. Location: United States. Posts: 9

Posted by brevan on 15/3/2012 at 02:13

Thx for the advice. Just to be clear. It's 3-4 months in total, so for all the countries together. But it's doable travelling over land?

What about crossing borders? Can I do this where and when I want? Or is best to visit one country at the time so I only have to cross the border once?

#4 brevan has been a member since 14/3/2012. Posts: 10

Posted by MADMAC on 15/3/2012 at 03:32

Cross the borders once. There is little to be gained going back and forth, and you are paying for a visa every time you do it.

And yes, I'm with China, have a rough outline, but don't commit to a timeline. You run out of time before you get somewhere, so be it. SEA isn't about seeing things or doing things. You want to see or do things, go to Europe. SEA is about pace of life. Take your time and enjoy the place. Lounge around, read a book... this is a lazy place. That's its charm.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by chinarocks on 15/3/2012 at 04:05

It's 3-4 months in total, so for all the countries together. But it's doable travelling over land?

Yes, I believe you can cover 4 countries reasonably comfortably in 3-4 months.

What about crossing borders? Can I do this where and when I want? Or is best to visit one country at the time so I only have to cross the border once?

You will need a visa in advance for Vietnam, the rest can be got at the border crossing (last I heard anyway). For logistical and financial reasons (visas can cost a bit) yes it would make sense to do a country once and then be done with it.

#6 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.