Southeast Asia forum

3-4 mths thailand, laos, cambodia, vietnam

• brevan

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2012

Hi,

in december I leave for 3-4 months to explore Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Would you pls check the itinerary? Is it realistic in that time if I travel over land or should I take flights? If you have better options instead of certain locations in my itinerary, pls let me know. If there's enough time even other countries are possible. Pls comment and thx for the tips in advance.

Itinerary:
    http://maps.google.be/maps/ms?msid=213848993559035957185.0004baa2d47f5c6eecac4&msa=0

Thx!

Gr Brevan

#1 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 10:04

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I won't comment on the intricacies of your itinerary other than to say well done for not planning too rushed a trip. At an average of 3-4 weeks per country, you will have time to relax, absorb the culture and not feel like you are spending too much time on buses, trains and planes.

Also, be flexible with your route. By all means have an outline, this is definitely preferable, but don't try and stick too rigidly to it as there times you will want to go back to a restaurant, bar, lady (or man) that would otherwise not be possible if you moved on. You will also hear stories that may turn you off going to places you had previosuly planned on visiting.

Basically, have a rough outline but just wing it. It's what SE Asia is made for.

#2 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 11:34

• swebb92101

Click here to learn more about swebb92101
    Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012
    Location United States

Just wing it! Great advice.

#3 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 23:44

• brevan

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2012

Thx for the advice. Just to be clear. It's 3-4 months in total, so for all the countries together. But it's doable travelling over land?

What about crossing borders? Can I do this where and when I want? Or is best to visit one country at the time so I only have to cross the border once?

#4 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 02:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Cross the borders once. There is little to be gained going back and forth, and you are paying for a visa every time you do it.

And yes, I'm with China, have a rough outline, but don't commit to a timeline. You run out of time before you get somewhere, so be it. SEA isn't about seeing things or doing things. You want to see or do things, go to Europe. SEA is about pace of life. Take your time and enjoy the place. Lounge around, read a book... this is a lazy place. That's its charm.

#5 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 03:32

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

It's 3-4 months in total, so for all the countries together. But it's doable travelling over land?

Yes, I believe you can cover 4 countries reasonably comfortably in 3-4 months.

What about crossing borders? Can I do this where and when I want? Or is best to visit one country at the time so I only have to cross the border once?

You will need a visa in advance for Vietnam, the rest can be got at the border crossing (last I heard anyway). For logistical and financial reasons (visas can cost a bit) yes it would make sense to do a country once and then be done with it.

#6 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 04:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
27 y/o female heading from Northern Thailand thru Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Thailand ... By starseed on 4 Mar 2011 10 3385 25 Apr 2011
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thailand - Good Plan? ... By PeterJW on 25 Sep 2011 3 3121 27 Sep 2011
Travel buddies wanted SE Asia (Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand) 22nd Nov - 1st Feb ... By LottieJ on 14 Nov 2012 0 1219 14 Nov 2012
23yo male, frm uk, 3months travelling Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand.. Jan2011 ... By benrob87 on 6 Oct 2010 4 2939 11 Dec 2010
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thailand ... By JamesHamblin on 8 Apr 2009 8 6619 11 Apr 2009