Southeast Asia forum

20 days itinerary - Help needed

• franjroman

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2012

Hi guys,

I'm planning a first trip to SE Asia with my girlfriend (we are 25 yrs old) for next January. The length will be about 20 days (i'd love to stay more time there, but it's impossible for us). The main idea is to mix the "must sees" and some beach time, What do you think of this itinerary? Due to the shortness of the trip, we will be travelling by air. I know that is far better to travel slowly, but we don´t have more time, and probably it's a "one in your life" trip

1 Bangkok
    2 Bangkok
    3 Bangkok
    4 Bangkok
    5 Phuket
    6 Phuket
    7 Phuket
    8 Phuket (side trip to Ko Phi Phi)
    9 Luang Prabang
    10 Luang Prabang
    11 Luang Prabang
    13 Luang Prabang
    14 Sieam Reap
    15 Sieam Reap
    16 Sieam Reap
    17 Back to Thailand. Any ideas? (i would love to go to Vietnam, but i think that 2 days in Vietnam is an awful idea).

Your recommendations will be really useful. Thanks a lot.

#1 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 23:08

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yes, I think it's a do-able, although you might find the airfares a bit pricey. That's not always a concern when you are on a limited time-budget but just thought I'd point it out!

Forget Vietnam. It's not worth the time and expense of getting there for only 2 days. Save it for another whole trip on it's own. And in spite of your protestations that this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip, you just might change your mind once you get there! :-)

My only suggestion would be to finish up in the islands rather than go there at the start. In other words, Bkk - LP - Siem Reap - Phuket (poss via Bkk?). Reason for this is that after a few weeks of running around seeing the sights, it's nice to finish of with a bit of R&R, lying on the beach, drinking cocktails as the sun sets. It's just a nice way to wrap up the trip with your girlfriend!

#2 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 00:15

• BrettC

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2012
    Location United States

Lizzy has it dead on. Beaches are a great way to close out a trip! You've got the right idea time-wise, spending three or four days in each place.

You said a 20 day trip, but you only listed 17 days? Is that because you're budgeting some serious travel time or were you wanting suggestions on how to fill out the trip?

#3 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 15:23

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If you have 2 days to spare, I would be tempted to add it on to Luang Prabang. From there you could spend 2-3 days up in Nong Khiaow (or cut time in LP by a day and also go to Muang Ngoi ) for a great introduction into the more remote side of life in Laos.

You can get a mini-bus from LP to Nong Khiaow (4 hrs), stay a night or two, then take the boat back for a lovely scenic tour down the river (5-6 hrs). Optionally, you could then add another day and head up to Muang Ngoi (another hour by boat). You could just plan this as you go. If, after 3 days, you've seen what you wanted to see in LP, then jump into a boat and head up river. Just play it by ear.

#4 Posted: 21/3/2012 - 16:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Getting the most out of 60 days in Indonesia! Itinerary help needed please! ... By firefly2280 on 11 Feb 2014 4 978 15 Feb 2014