Southeast Asia forum

9 Week SE Asia Trip

• realacefool

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2012

Hello,
    I am travelling to SE Asia for 9 weeks from early June to early August with one other person. Our preliminary plan is to start in Hanoi and work our way south till we reach Bali, passing through Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. After reading a few posts we are considering cutting out Vietnam or maybe just starting in Saigon and working our way from there. We are also considering cutting out Indonesia and saving that for another time, so that we can see indochina, thailand, and malaysia. What do you think, is this too much in too little time? Is it worth it to get a taste of several countries instead of a close to the ground experience in only a few? We are a pretty energetic pair and like to move around quite a bit.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Spencer

#1 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 21:56

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

This is a huge amount of ground to cover in nine weeks. You will either be flying a lot, or taking a lot of long, shitty bus rides, or travelling every day. I would say Saigon to Phuket in nine weeks is reasonable.

#2 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 23:01

• BrettC

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2012
    Location United States

I hate to disagree, but one can sleeper train comfortably from Bangkok to Singapore. In fact, it's one of the few routes that it's really possible on. If you're heading straight south, sleeping from Bangkok to the islands, and so forth down to Singapore, it might be feasible. Having said that, nine weeks is good for three, maybe four countries unless you really like moving. I'd say Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) down to Singapore is the upper limit of what you should pack into nine weeks. If you really like moving a lot and don't plan on spending a lot of time in northern or north eastern Thailand, Phuket might be too modest of a goal.

#3 Posted: 19/3/2012 - 23:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

In my opinion, when it comes to travelling in SEA:

Modest Good, Ambitious Bad.

#4 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 03:24

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Out of curiosity Mac. Do you consider your stay in eastern Thailand living or travelling? Are you the ultimate backpacker that hangs in 1 place for 2 years and then moves on?

As for the plan of OP. Yeah it is too ambitious for 9 weeks. Having said that a list of country names will always trigger that reaction from the majority of the crowd here. People here assume that everyone wants to see the whole country in 1 visit. If you stick to just 1 route along the coast the (names of the) countries don't matter if you're just interested in the coastal areas. Still too long for a 9 week journey but feasible

#5 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 07:09

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well that is how I've lived most of my life - stay in a place a few years, then move on. But now I am pretty much settled and think my moving on days are unlikely (but you never do know). Most of my travelling is restricted to Issan and the occassional foray to Bangkok at this point. If I can't go on my motorcycle, I don't want to go.

#6 Posted: 20/3/2012 - 07:47

• THEIBC

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

9 weeks will be a tough slog to cover all of that and in my opinion kind of defeats the object of going. The pace of life in SEA is slow and to get the most out of it you need to just go with the flow and leave yourself a lot of flexible time to stay longer in places you really like. Sticking to a plan takes might mean missing out on spontaneous things come up and these can be the most memorable bits. I remember in Kampot we were meant to be leaving but met some cool people who said there was a party the following day that would be good so we stayed and had one of the best nights out on our travels.

#7 Posted: 26/3/2012 - 15:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vaccinations and their costs for a 6 week trip to SE Asia ... By ms1892 on 27 Jan 2010 13 16556 14 Nov 2010
Starting my 12 week SE Asia trip in Bangkok - few days there, where best to stay? ... By AndyPandy on 26 Aug 2012 5 2155 12 May 2014