Southeast Asia forum

Please help me plan my route in wet season

• Muzz

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2012

Hi all
    We're on a year trip and unfortunately our plans unavoidably have plonked us in Asia for 5 months during wet season, we land in Bangkok on 1st June and we head off to Australia on 3rd November from Singapore. I've been trying to figure out if there is a preferred route that we can lesser the affects of rain or whether we're buggered whatever we do, but the task is proving too much and i'm more confused than when i started, the ideal route would be N.Thailand > Laos > Vietnam > Cambodia > S. Thailand > Malayia> Bali > Borneo > Singapore

I can see that N.Thailand in June seems a no no and Cambodia in August when it looks like we're going to be there also seems the worst possible idea.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 23:38

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"Rainy season" does not necessarily spell doom and gloom for travelling the region. In fact there are tons of people visiting June-August for European school holidays. Tropical rains don't tend to last all day - more like hot days then late-afternoon or evening quickie thundershowers. It can be worth monitoring any tropical drepressions/storms which bring unusually big rains. I usually just look at a satellite loop like this one: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/vsmtsatw.html to get an idea if any nasties are coming. Most of the time should be just fine once you're familiarised with the climate.

The driest area June-Sep is usually the lower Gulf of Thailand (islands Ko Tao, Ko Phangan, Ko Samui, and the mainland east coast) and eastern side of the Malay peninsula, but I would not be put off visiting anywhere in the region based on the possibility of rain. We get a lot of people coming up to Chiang Mai and just bring sturdy shoes and a rain poncho if you go trekking for a few days. It's a heck of a lot better than March/April which is just plain hot and too uncomfortable for heavy outdoor recreation. Rain is sometimes a good thing too.

#2 Posted: 6/4/2012 - 03:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Pre plan my route (flights) or take it as it comes? ... By markacino on 18 Feb 2010 10 1656 19 Feb 2010