Southeast Asia forum

Most tolerable overland travel?

• minerman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2012

I am planning on doing a mix of overland travel and flights on my upcoming trip. I'm trying to figure out which overland trips are more tolerable. There's a few trips that I am questioning and they all seem kind of bad. What parts should I skip with a flight?

Bangkok to Siem Reap
    Pros: Most of the travel is in Thailand, should be nice.
    Cons: Khmers try to scam you at the border.

Phnom Penh to Vientiene
    Pros: A lot of cool towns in between. Don Det looks cool.
    Cons: Lengthy trip and hassle across the border

Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai
    Pros: A boat ride sounds like a good way to see the countryside.
    Cons: Lengthy trip, boats are uncomfortable

OK, so which sucks more? Which leg would you avoid at all costs? Is there a more obvious route that I'm not thinking of, to hit all these sites?

I should also mention, my goal is to hit all these places in 3 weeks or less. I know that is very ambitious and very likely not to happen. But I'm just trying to think in advance...what land travel should I not attempt?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 14:21

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

PP to Vientiane is a VERY LONG overland ride. If you didn't break that up with a number of stops on the way, I'd dare say you are at risk for suicide. This would suck at a level that starts approaching the Bataan death march. I'd fly that leg for sure.

Three weeks to cover that much ground isn't going to be fun. So if you just want to see these specific places, then I would simply fly to each one - because they are so far apart. Eating half your vacation in the process of moving about kind of sucks...

#2 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 00:36

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'Khmers try to scam you at the border.'
    Just ignore them.
    BTW The scammers are everywhere not just at borders though I admit Poipet is just about the worst advert for Cambodia there is.
    I think Vietnamese scammers probably take the prize though. The Khmer are ***** cats in this department.
    Mac's right about that Phnom Penh to Vientiane leg,it's a killer but it would be a shame to miss Kratie and Ban Lung and then across the border the Pakse area and the islands are beautiful.

#3 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 02:06

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Am I being censored here for using the word pussycat?
    It means mild and unthreatening in english.Why is this happening?
    Better not mention 'French connection' This is PC gone mad

#4 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 02:11

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

BKK to Siem Reap isn't that long - so no worries there. If you want to see BKK-Siem Reap-PP-Vientiane- Luang Prabang - Chiang Mai in 3 weeks you certainly need to fly into Vientiane, you'll be missing a lot of cool stuff in Southern Laos but you simply don't have the time for it anyway. In fact, if you want quality time in those areas I think I'd agree with Mac and say you've got to fly at least two of the legs - Luang Prabang via boat-bus to Chiang Mai takes something like three days of travel at a comfortable pace.

#5 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 02:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I think the computer automatically censored it because you separated the words hombre.

#6 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 04:20

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It would be nice to beaver your way up the Mekhong too,don't you think so Mac?

#7 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 06:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, you wouldn't be the first guy to do it, that's for sure saxib.

#8 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 22:09

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'Saxib we are natural born fighters. In is in our bloods we are Suldaans no man can rule us, no one maan tells us what to do.'

#9 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 01:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

That sounds like a Somali... and explains their difficulty in achieving any kind of political unity.

#10 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 06:30

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.