Southeast Asia forum

Travelers Cheques?

• Wanderluster

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2012
    Location Canada

The last time I traveled to Southeast Asia was in 2009 and for the duration of my trip I used American Express Travelers Cheques. There were no real problems associated with cashing them and did so with relative ease.

I am once again headed for the region (Thailand, Laos, Indonesia) and was wondering if there has been any change in regards to the prevalence of cashing locations and whether or not travelers cheques are still a good idea. I of course will be ordering some Baht beforehand, but was wondering if it was wise to get TCs.

My current plan is to take some preordered currency, travelers cheques, and utilize debit withdrawals for any amount over the cash I am bringing and the travelers cheques. I am just worried about depending solely on debit withdrawals as charges can add up and fearful of a situation in which I lose my card and then am essentially without access to my funds.

Just wanted to know what other fellow travelers experiences have been and what advice they could share...

#1 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 01:53

• Advertisement

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I had no problem using T.C's in Laos, Thailand or Malaysia (or China) toward the end of last year.

In Laos/Thailand is was quick and easy, with all the money exchange booths I tried accepting them with no fuss. Very quick. In Malaysia you had to go into a bank so it took a bit longer.

I still like them, although many on here don't seem to. I guess in the USA/Europe they are outdated and not very useful. In SE Asia though, I still find that they are a valid and useful form of currency.

I take a mix of cash (USD), T.C's and a traveler pre-paid VISA card (Caxton). I also have my UK debit card on stand by but don't use it normally as they charge too much.

#2 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 23:12

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I don't think you'll get much better advice than above.

However, I wouldn't bother pre buying any baht. I'd just change some cash at the airport on the way in.

#3 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 22:19

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I always recommend having a second ATM card for cash withdrawals - either to a second account, or a second card on the same account. I lost mine on Day 1 of a long trip, and would have been stuck if it weren't for having a backup card.

I keep two accounts (two different banks) and take a card for each. I keep most of my money in one account that I only access via internet banking. I keep a small-ish amount of money in the account that I intended to use on a regular basis (eg $500-1000), and as that runs low, I transfer in another lump of $ into it. I do this to help manage the risk of anything going wrong.

#4 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 22:33

• Wanderluster

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Thanks for all the advice! Really appreciate it :)

#5 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 18:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.