Southeast Asia forum

Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia Sept 2012

• RC2012

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

Hey,

Im new here so hello everyone :) Im going travelling for the first time and going alone in Sept 2012. I'm open to all advice as i'm sure I will need it. I have a route planned which is shown below and I have no timescales what so ever so i'm literally just going with the flow.

My planned route so far is, (When im there I know it may change but thats ok)

Thailand - mainly north (roughly 2/3 weeks as I want to arrive in Laos towards the end of Sept)
    Laos
    Vietnam
    Cambodia
    Thailand (time to relax and explore the islands)
    Malaysia
    Singapore
    Indonesia
    and then off to Aus on a WHV and then NZ

I want to head to Laos towards the end of Sept as the rain season starts to clear and
    hopefully I will then travel all of SE Asia with good weather... this is only what i've been told so sorry if i'm wrong (if however the weather is good in July/Aug then I will probably leave a month sooner and go in Aug)

How much will I roughly need per month? I will be travelling as cheap as possible due to no timescales but I will still be doing trips/excursions.

Also Visas and border crossings, is this difficult to arrange and do you need proof of onwards travel as i'm probably just booking a single flight to BKK? I know I need a Visa for Vietnam and WHV for Aus before but I have no idea about the rest.

If anyone has any advice what so ever then please help, also if anyone knows any MUST DO trips or even any DONT DO trips. sorry for the long post guys.

Thanks, Ryan. :)

#1 Posted: 5/4/2012 - 18:12

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The movement route makes sense. You've kept it pretty broad, but in general your direction of travel is logical. I'm not a fan of these big, sweeping, moving around vacations, but some people do enjoy them. I prefer to spend longer periods of time in one location because I enjoy getting to know people, which takes more than a couple of days. But that's me.

You can get by OK on 25 USD a day. After that though, you have to add in visa fees (you can look each one up on the net), bus costs since you are doing a lot of moving around, and incidentals (like museum fees). The big budget eaters are booze and women, though, without a doubt. Most people here are not heavily into either, so I am assuming you fit into the "most people here" category and don't plan to budget for said.

As for must dos and don't dos, really people can only tell you what they think based on their preferences. I've heard people says Sapa in Vietnam is a must do. But their reasoning is because of the scenery, which I don't give a crap about. Others will say Siem Reap is a must do, but it doesn't interest me either. For me, Dien Bin Phu would be a must do. For some guys, Pattaya is a must do (and the only do). For others, the Islands and beaches are must dos. It really depends on your tastes and preferences.

#2 Posted: 6/4/2012 - 00:34

• RC2012

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

Thanks for the response MADMAC, I'm not a big drinker so I wont be spending money on alcohol every night and definitely wont be spending money on women. This is only a rough idea of where I want to go so if I enjoy somewhere I will stay there for a while. 1 thing I am definitely doing will be diving and maybe get certified.

When I arrive in BKK I will only be staying around that area for a week or 2 as I will be coming back to Thailand so can explore the south and the islands then. I want to head to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai before entering Laos, is this easy to arrange when your there as this is the sort of stuff I have no idea about, and from Vientiane - Hanoi again is this something I will just know once im there?

Thanks

#3 Posted: 6/4/2012 - 06:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

You need to get your Vietnamese visa prior to entry, so get that while in Bangkok from the Vietnamese embassy. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Have a good trip.

#4 Posted: 6/4/2012 - 14:42

• RC2012

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

At the moment i'm planning on just booking a single flight to Thailand, so will I ever need proof of onwards travel at any border crossings?

#5 Posted: 6/4/2012 - 16:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
23/F Cambodia-Thailand-Malaysia-Indonesia June-Sept 2012, looking for female travel buddy ... By MLuna on 23 Feb 2012 8 2446 31 Jul 2012
38/F - travelling to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos (and possibly Indonesia) from Jan 2012 ... By michele1273 on 2 Nov 2011 9 2931 14 Jan 2012
Cambodia & Vietnam & Laos & North Thailand and Malaysia & Indonesia (Sumatra and Java) ... By schwev on 18 Nov 2013 0 452 18 Nov 2013
Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia/Malaysia and Indonesia in 8 weeks ... By jbrinkey on 13 Oct 2013 16 1529 21 Oct 2013
Irish female travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Thailand June-Sept ... By mibbles on 2 May 2011 25 5073 22 Feb 2012
2 months in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam AND Indonesia ... By mar571 on 9 Nov 2010 15 9259 25 Nov 2010
Thailand/Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam October 2012 forward... ... By HollyOdaravla on 5 Aug 2012 5 1588 29 Aug 2012
23/F travelling Thailand/Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam Jan-April 2012 ... By melaniedelia on 3 Aug 2011 23 5673 13 Dec 2011
26/Male/Canada/Nov 1st 2012 Thailand-Vietnam-Cambodia-Laos ... By christophr on 28 Oct 2012 1 1046 30 Oct 2012
26 Female - Nov 2012 - March 2013 Thailand, Laos,Cambodia,Vietnam, ... By LondonHoney8286 on 14 Feb 2012 25 5789 1 Nov 2012