Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Help me plan my trip!

Posted by sacer on 9/4/2012 at 23:47

Hey guys,

I'm planning a 23 day trip to Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos. This will be my first time traveling and I'll be on my own so I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have for me.

5/13 - 5/14: 2 days in Bangkok
Fly to Hanoi
5/15 - 5/19: 5 days in Hanoi and Ha Long Bay
Overnight train to Lao Cai
5/20 - 5/21: 2 days in Sapa
10 hour bus to Dien Bien Phu
5/22: Stay at DBP for the night
10 hour bus to Muang Khua
5/23: Stay at Muang Khua for the night

5hr slow boat to Nong Khiaw; From NK, bus or speedboat to Luang Prabang
5/24 - 5/27: 3 days in LP
5hr bus to Vang Vieng
5/28: Stay at VV for the night
3hr bus to Vientiane
5/28 - 5/30: 3 days in Vientiane
Overnight train to Bangkok
5/31 - 6/3: 4 days in Bangkok

Am I overdoing it? I don't mind all the traveling but I just want to make sure I am giving myself enough time to properly see these places. If I am being overambitious should I stick in another flight somewhere or is there a place I should cross off my list.

Is my logistics reasonable? I am wondering if it is possible to boat from Muang Khua to Nong Khiaw, and then bus or boat from NK to LP all in one day. Anyone know when those busses/boats run?

Where would you suggest I do a 3 day trek if I wanted to fit that in? Sapa? VTE?

Is there anywhere I can join some meditation workshops? Bangkok maybe?

Any must see places on the way that I'm missing?

A note: I already bought my flight from Bangkok to Hanoi and I'm meeting up with my friend in Bangkok for the last 4 days, but everything else is flexible. Except, bus from Dien Bien only leaves sun, mon, wed, and fri (which is why I'm staying in Sapa for only 2 days unfortunately)

Thanks guys!

#1 sacer has been a member since 16/3/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by eastwest on 10/4/2012 at 00:57

Looks alright to me.

I would only add a day to LP and shave of one day from Vientiane or BKK. Your days before and after LP have a lot of travel in a country where travel is not always the easiest nor the most comfortable.

Once you arrive in LP you may want to take it very easy on the first day and I suggest you plan for some good relaxation in LP and therefor I would add another day there. 3 days & 4 nights is ok if you fly in and out.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by sacer on 12/4/2012 at 17:55

Thanks for the tip eastwest. I hadn't thought about that but you're right, I do have a lot of traveling before and after LP so I'll add a day.

#3 sacer has been a member since 16/3/2012. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.