Southeast Asia forum

Help me plan my trip!

• sacer

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2012

Hey guys,

I'm planning a 23 day trip to Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos. This will be my first time traveling and I'll be on my own so I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have for me.

5/13 - 5/14: 2 days in Bangkok
    Fly to Hanoi
    5/15 - 5/19: 5 days in Hanoi and Ha Long Bay
    Overnight train to Lao Cai
    5/20 - 5/21: 2 days in Sapa
    10 hour bus to Dien Bien Phu
    5/22: Stay at DBP for the night
    10 hour bus to Muang Khua
    5/23: Stay at Muang Khua for the night

5hr slow boat to Nong Khiaw; From NK, bus or speedboat to Luang Prabang
    5/24 - 5/27: 3 days in LP
    5hr bus to Vang Vieng
    5/28: Stay at VV for the night
    3hr bus to Vientiane
    5/28 - 5/30: 3 days in Vientiane
    Overnight train to Bangkok
    5/31 - 6/3: 4 days in Bangkok

Am I overdoing it? I don't mind all the traveling but I just want to make sure I am giving myself enough time to properly see these places. If I am being overambitious should I stick in another flight somewhere or is there a place I should cross off my list.

Is my logistics reasonable? I am wondering if it is possible to boat from Muang Khua to Nong Khiaw, and then bus or boat from NK to LP all in one day. Anyone know when those busses/boats run?

Where would you suggest I do a 3 day trek if I wanted to fit that in? Sapa? VTE?

Is there anywhere I can join some meditation workshops? Bangkok maybe?

Any must see places on the way that I'm missing?

A note: I already bought my flight from Bangkok to Hanoi and I'm meeting up with my friend in Bangkok for the last 4 days, but everything else is flexible. Except, bus from Dien Bien only leaves sun, mon, wed, and fri (which is why I'm staying in Sapa for only 2 days unfortunately)

Thanks guys!

#1 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 23:47

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Looks alright to me.

I would only add a day to LP and shave of one day from Vientiane or BKK. Your days before and after LP have a lot of travel in a country where travel is not always the easiest nor the most comfortable.

Once you arrive in LP you may want to take it very easy on the first day and I suggest you plan for some good relaxation in LP and therefor I would add another day there. 3 days & 4 nights is ok if you fly in and out.

#2 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 00:57

• sacer

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2012

Thanks for the tip eastwest. I hadn't thought about that but you're right, I do have a lot of traveling before and after LP so I'll add a day.

#3 Posted: 12/4/2012 - 17:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.