Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Vietnam visa in Bangkok

Posted by ekumbier on 14/4/2012 at 22:47

Hi,

My friends and I are traveling in Southeast Asia right now and need to get our Vietnam visas. We plan to be in Vietnam for less than 30 days. I was thinking we could do this in Bangkok, but then we might need a 60 or 90 day visa. We could also do it in Vientiane or Phnom Penh, but didn't plan on spending a lot of time in those cities.

Also, is there any way not to waste a day at the embassy? Is there a reputable travel agency in Bangkok that could handle it?

Thanks,

Eric

#1 ekumbier has been a member since 17/7/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by busylizzy on 15/4/2012 at 01:08

I don't have an answer to your specific question, but just thought I'd mention that if you are planning to arrive in Vietnam by air (ie Hanoi or HCMC airports), then you don't need to get a visa ahead of time. You can just apply for a pre-approval letter online (2 days to process), then hand the letter over at immigration when you arrive.

If you are arriving overland, then yes, you need it ahead of time. Thought I'd mention it, just in case...

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 15/4/2012 at 05:23

We plan to be in Vietnam for less than 30 days. I was thinking we could do this in Bangkok, but then we might need a 60 or 90 day visa

It doesn't matter what type of Thai visa you have, just go to the Vietnamese embassy and get it yourself. If you go early enough they may be able to issue it same day. Bangkok's a huge city and I find it easier to do in Vientiane, as the Vietnam embassy is right next to the popular Patuxai monument. You can also get it at the Vietnamese consulate in Luang Prabang. Cost is $45/55/60 for same/next/2-day service. Similar pricing in Phnom Penh.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.