Southeast Asia forum

Vietnam visa in Bangkok

• ekumbier

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2011

Hi,

My friends and I are traveling in Southeast Asia right now and need to get our Vietnam visas. We plan to be in Vietnam for less than 30 days. I was thinking we could do this in Bangkok, but then we might need a 60 or 90 day visa. We could also do it in Vientiane or Phnom Penh, but didn't plan on spending a lot of time in those cities.

Also, is there any way not to waste a day at the embassy? Is there a reputable travel agency in Bangkok that could handle it?

Thanks,

Eric

#1 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 22:47

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I don't have an answer to your specific question, but just thought I'd mention that if you are planning to arrive in Vietnam by air (ie Hanoi or HCMC airports), then you don't need to get a visa ahead of time. You can just apply for a pre-approval letter online (2 days to process), then hand the letter over at immigration when you arrive.

If you are arriving overland, then yes, you need it ahead of time. Thought I'd mention it, just in case...

#2 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 01:08

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

We plan to be in Vietnam for less than 30 days. I was thinking we could do this in Bangkok, but then we might need a 60 or 90 day visa

It doesn't matter what type of Thai visa you have, just go to the Vietnamese embassy and get it yourself. If you go early enough they may be able to issue it same day. Bangkok's a huge city and I find it easier to do in Vientiane, as the Vietnam embassy is right next to the popular Patuxai monument. You can also get it at the Vietnamese consulate in Luang Prabang. Cost is $45/55/60 for same/next/2-day service. Similar pricing in Phnom Penh.

#3 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 05:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.