Southeast Asia forum

travel times and routes

• sumana

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2007

Hi,

I'm leaving for SE Asia soon, and I just wanted to get some advice about travel times. I was wondering how long on average it takes to go from Chaing Mai to Luang Prabang. Also, are there any overland routes from Vientienne to Hanoi (that take less than 1 day of travel)? Likewise, are there any flights or over land routes from Hue to Phnom Penh or from Hue to Siem Reap? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sumana

#1 Posted: 3/4/2007 - 15:09

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Welcome to Travelfish Sumana,

For Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang, you can choose to fly (an hour or so) or go overland (two days minimum, three days more normal).

Overland from Luang Prabang to Hanoi in less than a day is not possible -- you're looking at at least two days of travel -- at least!

For trip times, take a look in the itineraries section -- pick an itinerary that includes coverage of where you're going and the times should be in there.

Also, for more information on overland routes (border crossings etc, take a look at the border crossing FAQ.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 3/4/2007 - 15:55

• sumana

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2007

Thank you for your prompt reply. It seems I need to decide whether I want to spend more money or spend more time in transit. There's no such thing as a free lunch!

#3 Posted: 3/4/2007 - 16:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's true, there's no free lunch -- but often getting there is half the fun ;-)

#4 Posted: 3/4/2007 - 16:19

• sumana

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2007

Very true.

Also, I was talking to some relatives and friends about a tentative itinerary. They are really dissuading me from pursuing it because they feel it is too cramped. I would love to hear your opinion and know possibly what is worth leaving out. In addition, my friend and I (both females) are traveling alone. My relatvies are very nervous about us staying in hostels. Do you think that it would be very dangerous? Any advice is appreciated.

Date Travel Mode of Transportation
    April 16th Arrive in KL air
    April 18th night or 19th KL to Bangkok air
    April 22nd Bangkok to Ayutthaya bus
    April 22/23rd Overnight to Chaing Mai bus
    April 26th Chaing Mai to Chaing Dao bus
    April 27/28th Chaing Dao to Chaing Mai to Luang Prabang bus, boat - 2 days +
    April 30/ May 1st Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng bus
    May 4th Vang Vieng to Vientienne bus
    May 5th Vientienne to Hanoi air
    May 7-8th Hanoi to Sa Pa bus
    May 8-9th Hanoi to Ha Long Bay bus
    May 10-11th Hanoi to Hue bus
    May 13th Hue to Hanoi to Siem Reap air
    May 15th Siem Reap to Phnom Penh bus
    May 16th Phnom Penh to BKK or KL air
    (Go to some beach in South Thailand) air
    May 19th Beach to KL train/bus/air
    May 21st KL to LA air

#5 Posted: 3/4/2007 - 16:30

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ok, your friends and relatives are right -- it is wayyyyyyy too cramped!

Here's a few pointers -- others may have more suggestions.

Chiang Dao to Luang Prabang will take at least:
    Chiang Dao - Chiang Mai - Chiang Khong (border) one day.
    Chiang Khong - Huay Xai - Luang Prabang (by boat) two day

I'd strongly recommend allowing more time in Luang Prabang -- it's one of the top destinations in SE Asia (in my opinion) and deserves at least a couple of nights.

The most popular way to go to Sapa is by overnight train, you leave Hanoi in the evening and arrive at sapa in the morning. Again I'd allow at least two nights in Sapa.

Ha Long Bay can be seen in a day -- it's not the best way to do it, but many do. See the Vietnam feature stories, for a series of stories on how best to see Ha Long Bay.

I'd skip Hue totally -- you just don't have enough time.

Regarding travelling safety - you should be fine. Use your common sense and you'll be fine -- SE Asia is a very safe region to travel in.

#6 Posted: 3/4/2007 - 18:30

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Sumana,

Just to echo what Somtam said, your itinerary is very cramped. While getting there is half the fun, you don't want to spend half your time getting there.

Luang Prabang is an amazing place, and I also agree that it would be a shame to rush out of there after such a short time.

One additional minor suggestion I'd make it to take the overnight train from Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai instead of the bus, if you can still get train tickets for that date. Since there are two of you, the first-class cabin might be a worthwhile splurge. Cheers.

#7 Posted: 3/4/2007 - 20:52

• prairieox

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

hi Sumana,

If you just have a day, you can go to Ninh Binh from Hanoi instead of Halong Bay. Ninh Binh has the same karst formations as Halong Bay, but they rise out of gorgeous rice paddies and rivers. See this TravelFish section
    It's only an hour and half by public bus from Hanoi, and in a jiffy, you can do a day trip and enjoy your time there. It's a fantastic place.

#8 Posted: 3/4/2007 - 22:00

• sumana

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2007

Thanks. It's a bit heartbreaking deciding what to cut out, but I apreciate all of the suggestions!

#9 Posted: 4/4/2007 - 03:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.