Southeast Asia forum

Cambodia - Laos - Thailand Jul/Aug

• chinezero

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2011

Apologize for double posting this..can't figure how to edit my last post. The intent on this is how to get about from each place.

Fly from Seoul to Bangkok/Siem Reap (Seeking help on flights and best cheapest places to get tickets)
    9-13/14 July - Cambodia
    Looking at a Siem Reap to Phnom Penh up to Laos direction. (Recommendations on places to visit/see?) Also traveling within the country overnight trains, buses, flights, etc?

14-26 July - Laos
    How to get from Cambodia to Laos ? Flights? Trains, etc?
    As for Laos the top things I know about and would like to hit is the Gibbon Experience, Jar of Plains and Vang Vieng (tubing experience).

26 July - 6 Aug - Thailand
    Cross over from Northern Laos to Thailand and Chiang Mai (Departure area and how to get there are areas I'm unsure of)
    from Chiang Mai (few days) fly to Bangkok onward to Phuket/Islands, etc. (Recommendations on best areas would be helpful)

3-6 August - Koh Samui (arrival and departure dates are tentative) Just interested in being here for full moon party on the 4th.

After I'll fly to Bangkok and outward to either Germany to visit in Frankfurt a few days or the States, depending on ticket prices.

There are only a few areas I know I want to hit for sure: Ko Samui Full Moon Party 4 Aug, Gibbon Experience, Vang Vieng, Jar of Plains. I don't mind flying to save time but having problems finding good deals and almost don't want to force myself to stay or leave an area so thinking buses and trains would be more ideal. I like a wide array of things, mostly history, ruins, temples, historical sites and such; party portions are saved for the Ko Samui and Vang Vieng portions of my trip. No need to include others (unless they out weigh the two I have planned). Not big into Art type Museums but I do enjoy historical stuff. I also like War History as well. Since this is a short trip; as much cultural and breadth of experience as possible as I may not be able to make it back soon.
    Thanks ahead of time.

Estimated Dates - 9 July (Depart Seoul) to 6 August (Tentative-Depart Bangkok)
    Need help with traveling in between locations (Trains, Bus, Flying and where to find deals)
    Also best places to visit in each area.
    I am not concerned with it being the rainy season.
    Also, if there is time to visit other countries, Vietnam, etc in this span of time and how to go about, open to suggestions.
    I was thinking of doing organized travel and combining trips as well as parts I'd go off on my own.
    Thanks. And if anyone is interested in traveling as well, let me know. I'm going solo.

#1 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 06:35

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Not to be pedantic, but it's Plain of Jars...

It would make sense for you to fly from PP to Vientiane since everything you want to hit in Laos is up North, and travel along the panhandle of Laos is long and slow (time eater). Laos also has no trains - so that rules that out.

It wasn't clear to me how much time you plan to spend in Bangkok, but it is arguably the most significant city in SEA and a very interesting one as well - but it takes a bit of time to figure it out.

#2 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 07:02

• chinezero

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2011

Yes, correct. And still unsure how to edit it. From the previous post someone left.
    Realize the possibility of Bangkok but it's a mix of either staying in Chiang Mai or in Bangkok. But I think I may be able to pull BKK off if I do the following trip plan.

9-12 Siem Reap (Fly to Phnom Penh )

12-14 Phnom Penh (Fly to Vientiane)

14-16 - Vientiane / Bus to VV

16-18 - VV (Bus to Luang Prabang ) *** Seems as though I may have to cut something out. Is the Gibbon Experience worth missing?**

18-26 - Luang Prabang /Northern Laos Someone recommended the below, but I'm not sure how relevant this is and if it'll be possible to do all in 8 days. I guess base location would be Luang Prabang?

Luang Prabang (not to be missed, and I mean it) and from there catch a round-trip flight to Phonsovan (Plain of Jars).. If you are really into war history there is the option of the Pathet Lao Caves up by Vieng Xia (outside of Sam Neua). It'd be a heck of a ride back to the rest of Northern laos - via Nong Kiaow would be a recommendation and then head north to the Gibbon experience via Udomxia and Luang Nam Tha (that is if you've already checked out Luang Prabang). As you can see, anything involving a trip up to the caves - or even a normal route from Luang Prabang to Huay Xia and the Gibbon Experience has a few options for other places to stop (overland via Luang Nam Tha is recommended over the upriver boat trip by me).

26-28 - Chiang Mai (Overnight train to Bangkok or early flight)
    29-31 - Bangkok / Kanchanaburi (Fly to Islands)
    31 Jul - 3 Aug - Phuket/Phi Phi (Fly to Koh Samui or Land/Boat
    3 - 5 Aug - Koh Samui (Fly Koh Samui to BKK)
    6 Aug - Depart via Bangkok

Now the only challenge is finding flights which match with timing. And I hear the BKK Airport is an hour away.

#3 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 07:59

• Kabana111

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Get a bus from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh! I got a 'luxury' minibus, free water, free pastry, air-con and toilet break for $8. It's about 5 hours, the road is pretty good now it's all done up and the scenery is very interesting.

#4 Posted: 15/5/2012 - 11:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.