Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

4 weeks solo in Vietnam&Cambodia

Posted by monikaki on 29/4/2012 at 13:33

Hi all,

I've booked 4 weeks off work in November and I'm planning on a solo trip in SE Asia. I'm not experienced in backpacking or SE Asia and I realize it may be a massive challenge. I've drafted the following itinerary:

North Vietnam:
Hanoi (2-3 days)
Sapa (2 days)
Halong Bay (2 days)

Flight to Siem Reap

Angkor & Siem (3 days)
Battambang (2-3 days)
Phnom Phenh (2 days)
Another couple of days doing whatever comes to mind

Heading to the border with Vietnam

Phu Quoc (4-5 days?)
Can Tho area (1-2 days)
HCMC (2 days)

I know it's doable but will I be able to enjoy it or do you reckon it may be too intense for an inexperienced traveler?

Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

#1 monikaki has been a member since 29/4/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by busylizzy on 29/4/2012 at 15:16

Even for inexperienced backpacker, it's a fair bit of moving around, but it's do-able if you're happy to be on the move every day. By that, I mean you'll be travelling every 2-3 days or so, and the days in between you'll be on the move trying to see as many sights as you at each destination. I know that when you have limited time, you want to squeeze in as much as you can - but be aware that you have very little time to just relax, absorb and enjoy!

In Cambodia, I would suggest skipping Battambang. I haven't been there (yet!), and am a bit bummed that I missed it out on my last trip, but logistically, you will spend a large amount of time getting there/back. I'd add the extra days to somewhere else (possibly the Vietnam section).

In terms of 'intensity' for a new traveller, I think you will be fine. You're sticking to paths well-travelled, transport within each country will be easy to organise and tourists are well-catered for.

Enjoy!

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.