Southeast Asia forum

4 weeks solo in Vietnam&Cambodia

• monikaki

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012

Hi all,

I've booked 4 weeks off work in November and I'm planning on a solo trip in SE Asia. I'm not experienced in backpacking or SE Asia and I realize it may be a massive challenge. I've drafted the following itinerary:

North Vietnam:
    Hanoi (2-3 days)
    Sapa (2 days)
    Halong Bay (2 days)

Flight to Siem Reap

Angkor & Siem (3 days)
    Battambang (2-3 days)
    Phnom Phenh (2 days)
    Another couple of days doing whatever comes to mind

Heading to the border with Vietnam

Phu Quoc (4-5 days?)
    Can Tho area (1-2 days)
    HCMC (2 days)

I know it's doable but will I be able to enjoy it or do you reckon it may be too intense for an inexperienced traveler?

Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 29/4/2012 - 13:33

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Even for inexperienced backpacker, it's a fair bit of moving around, but it's do-able if you're happy to be on the move every day. By that, I mean you'll be travelling every 2-3 days or so, and the days in between you'll be on the move trying to see as many sights as you at each destination. I know that when you have limited time, you want to squeeze in as much as you can - but be aware that you have very little time to just relax, absorb and enjoy!

In Cambodia, I would suggest skipping Battambang. I haven't been there (yet!), and am a bit bummed that I missed it out on my last trip, but logistically, you will spend a large amount of time getting there/back. I'd add the extra days to somewhere else (possibly the Vietnam section).

In terms of 'intensity' for a new traveller, I think you will be fine. You're sticking to paths well-travelled, transport within each country will be easy to organise and tourists are well-catered for.

Enjoy!

#2 Posted: 29/4/2012 - 15:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Solo female Vietnam for 2 weeks in July ... By Jafty51 on 3 Jun 2012 0 957 3 Jun 2012
Solo travel for 3.5 weeks in Vietnam: Overall Itinerary and Bac Ha Market ... By ncollins on 6 Aug 2014 3 446 18 Aug 2014