Southeast Asia forum

108 Days trip planning (Thailand, Lao, Cambudia)

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other

Hello! I am planning trip in 2013-2014.
    Home-Bangkok-Chiang mai-Chiang rai-Luan prabang-some trekking in north- Luang prabang-Vang vieng-Vientiane-Savannakhet-Pakxe-Si phan don-Stung treng-Siam rep- Pnomh pen-Sihanoukville-Koh kong-Koh Chang- Koh samet or Ko sichang- Bangkok- Home
    All trip by train, bus and boat.
    First in Thailand 25 nights, Laos 29 nights, Cambudia 26 nights and Thailand 28 nights.
    I think activities: Thaiboxing,Trekking,canoeing(kayak),Fishing,Swimming and motorcycling, and of course lot of chill and relax! :)
    Budget is about 4 400 dollars
    What you all think about that? Something better places? Better activities? Budget? How many days in where? Maybe NO some city? Transportating? something what?
    Sorry for bad english.

Lot of thanks for the answers!

#1 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 12:51

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Mixxat,

That's $40 per day or about 1200 baht. You could certainly survive on that, but as prices keep going up in the region, you might want to have just a bit more money to spend per day. You can save money by not moving around as much, staying a week or so in each place and getting better prices on accommodation that way.

Also, when you return to Thailand, you will only get 15 days vias exemption at the border (depending on your nationality), so figure that into your plans too. You might need to apply for a Thai visa in Phnom Penh before you return to Thailand. I hope that helps. Best wishes.

#2 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 18:34

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other

Thanks!

Can i get 30 day visa in border?
    Is Flying to thailand possible/smart way? That way i get 30day visa?

#3 Posted: 2/5/2012 - 10:08

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey mixxat,

No, you cannot get a 30-day visa at the Thai border. You could fly, but if you do that you'd have to go back to Phnom Penh and then fly, most likely, to Bangkok. Then you'd have to make your way to whichever island you want to go to. It would be much easier to just follow the route that you have already set for yourself.

You might be better getting a 30-day visa in Vientiane or Phnom Penh while you're there just to avoid the hassle.

Also, if you're watching your money, Koh Samet is quite expensive compared to places like Koh Wai, Koh Mak, and some spots on Koh Chang.

#4 Posted: 3/5/2012 - 10:29

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other

Thanks! That helps.

I check Koh Wai and Koh Mak on websites and these seems interesting.

#5 Posted: 5/5/2012 - 09:57

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

You can see Khmer boxing for free when you're in Phnom Penh. On a Saturday or Sunday, ask your guesthouse which TV studio the boxing is that day. The closest is CTN studio, about 15 minutes out of the city by tuk tuk. You will get up close to the ring and have a very Cambodian experience!

Very easy to travel by bus around Cambodia, although you might wish to avoid night travel.

Northern provinces in Cambodia such as Mondulkiri and Ratanakiri offer some hardcore motorbike rides, but it depends on the time of year - you don't want to do some of those roads in rainy season!

#6 Posted: 8/5/2012 - 07:21

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Vientiane-Svannakhet

You're skipping Tha Kheak and Konglor Cave and a motorbike loop that I've only recently heard chatter about myself - but sounds fantastic. Those discussing it say that the trip is better than Bolaven Plateau, which I put as my top experience so far in SE Asia. I'd recommend both of those as possible 4/5 day excursions while in Laos. Possibly skipping past Savannakhet unless for an overnight stay before heading on to Pakse . You'll get plenty of hiking in the north and the area around Savannakhet wasn't that accessible for excursions. Rather save the time and use the bike in Pakse to also go down to Champasak, a delightful little town with a good warm-up for Angkor Wat.

Also Luang Prabang -some trekking in the north-Luang Prabang

Could be better done coming in via Huay Xia and going directly on to Luang Nam Tha or Mung Sing to do the trekking via overland, then overland down to Luang Prabang. Unless you want to do the trekking around Luang Prabang and/or have your heart set on the boat ride down the Mekong to Luang Prabang.

As always, keep the schedule loose and a rough trail with the option to cross some things off if you find a place you want to stay longer - max out those visas for each country and enjoy yourself.

#7 Posted: 8/5/2012 - 09:03

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other

Very good! Lot of thanks for you all!

I have lot of thinking and planning before i go :D
    The trip what i write previously is only plan and maybe i change some places but these messages help me a lot and sound like very good.

Especially that Huay Xia and Luang Nam Tha or Mung Sing trail seems like very interesting way to go Luan Prabang.

#8 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 03:50

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other

How many days i can spend in north thailand? is two weeks too long time for chiang mai and chiang rai?

#9 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 11:06

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

"is two weeks too long time for chiang mai and chiang rai?"

not in my opinion. i could easily spend two weeks just in chiang mai, but that would be more of a food, spa, relax holiday than exploring. if you have the time to spend in the north, there are plenty of other places to visit, like phetburi, sukhothai, lampang, chiang dao, mae hong son, and naan, just to name a few. there is quite a bit to see and do, so it depends more on how much time you have and what types of things are most important to you.

#10 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 13:49

• Advertisement

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other

aa okey.
    I think to go first Chiang mai 7days then about 2-5 days in fang or other and then Chiang rai 7days before i go lao

#11 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 08:46

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other

This seems like going to 4 month trip :)
    If i have time.....

#12 Posted: 22/5/2012 - 03:16

• Vickyjin

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

That is the great time for your holiday. The first traveling should Cambodia.

#13 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 14:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
26 days arround Thailand. Help planning ? ... By pittz on 16 Apr 2012 6 1350 17 Apr 2012
planning my First trip in to Thailand ... By Maja on 21 Nov 2007 3 2307 22 Nov 2007
Planning a trip to thailand? ... By robemeen on 2 Mar 2014 2 515 2 Mar 2014
Help planning a trip to Laos and Thailand ... By shaungt08 on 7 Oct 2012 1 784 7 Oct 2012
First time planning trip to Thailand ... By sr78 on 10 Nov 2008 2 2046 12 Nov 2008
Planning trip to Thailand next August ... By Annie26 on 11 Jul 2014 4 445 13 Jul 2014
Help planning a trip to Laos and Thailand ... By shaungt08 on 7 Oct 2012 6 2238 9 Oct 2012
Need help planning a 2-week trip to Thailand! ... By Apoloplaza on 10 Jan 2009 6 2169 13 Jan 2009
Planning a trip to Thailand. Need advice!! ... By ali32 on 2 Apr 2013 3 1415 3 Apr 2013
Need help planning trip to Thailand, possibly Cambodia/Laos ... By marycolin on 9 Apr 2006 1 1788 9 Apr 2006