Southeast Asia forum

4 Month Trip..Advice Needed

• AdamCarter

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2012

Hi, I am a 20 year old male from the UK and I'm planning to backpack solo through South/South-east Asia in June 2013 for four months. I've been to Germany and France but only with my school and only for 1 to 2 weeks. What I'm scared of is going there and not getting around easily due to language barriers and just being stranded somewhere! Most importantly, I need help with my Itinerary as I know very little about South-east Asia except of a few things I've learned online so please treat like a total newbie lol

Just to let you know, I'm not a party animal, I prefer a cold beer and relaxing lol... I wanna go to lots of Waterfalls, Cave-exploring, and DEFO Muay Thai fights!! etc.. I'm hoping you guys can recommend places

Anyway, here is my current (and brief) breakdown of where I want to go in 4 months:
    Singapore for 1 week - Sentosa Island, Botanic Gardens, Orchid Garden
    Malaysia for 3 weeks - Obviously, Kuala Lumpur and Batu caves. Petronas Twin towers Also want to go Jet skiing so can someone please recommend some place good :)
    Thailand for 1 month - Dont know much about where to go here...But I know Im going to a cooking course inChiang Mai, maybe Sangkhlaburi and Khao Sok National Park
    Laos for 3 weeks - Luang Prabang (Kwang Si­), Don Khon, Kong Lor cave
    Cambodia for 2 weeks - I know Angkor Wat is a must.Angkor Wat, Sihanoukville,Cheung Ek (killing fields), Battambang, Ko Tonsay and Koh Thmei
    And finally Nepal for 1 month - 14-18 days trekking Annapurna, then going to Chitwan National Park and go Hot air ballooning, river-rafting..etc..

Total of 17 weeks..maybe more if I able to.
    Also wanted to know about flights to and from UK...What would be the best route and how much does it cost for a flight to Nepal...Also advice on Borders and crossing would be helpful.

Next is the budget.. I'm planning to spend around £1000-1500/month and upto £1500-2000 in Singapore/Malaysia...But I want to know the finer details of the costs of treks and transportation/ accommodation.

The trip is not for another year and nothings set in stone yet so let me know if I'm being too ambitious or put in a few recommendations. Also a detailed response would be most grateful and help put some of my worries aside lol...and Sorry for the long post :P Thanks!

#1 Posted: 4/5/2012 - 12:51

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

If you want lots of waterfalls make sure to do the Bolaven Plateau motorbiking loop - so many waterfalls that you'll get sick of them. Every Tad on this map is a waterfall (http://www.travelfish.org/feature/83) and Tad Lo has three very nice spots to explore. You shouldn't have trouble finding people to take the trip with you if you just hang around Pakse a few days, and it is a nice town to hang around in.

If you extend your stay in Laos to 4 weeks it should be enough time to go overland from Huay Xia (after Chiang Mai), direct to Luang Prabang, skipping the party in Vang Vieng and probably skipping Savanakhet since you will likely want to do another motorbike loop to get to Khong Lor Cave. Each of those loops would make a good 5 day trip unto themselves, so that is the main reason I recommend adding some more time (though the Bolaven you could cut short if you just hit Tad Lo and Paksong or make a lot longer). Considering two weeks in the north and two weeks in the south that gives you still a couple of nights around Champasak and 4,000 Islands before moving on to Cambodia.

As far as overall border crossing goes, there is plenty of information on the site about that, and most places it is no problem. Remember to bring some passport photos as some countries require those for filing uselessly.

Malaysia for three weeks will be expensive, and if you cut it down to two you'll save time and money for other locations. You can easily explore KL in 3/4 nights, and then a trip to Penang or Malacca to see some of the beaches. Langkawi is a nice island with watersports and jet skis - but you'd have to fly there . . . So maybe best to stay closer to KL with Penang or Malacca and then take a flight directly to Bangkok.

I'd also keep open the idea that Singapore will seem expensive and may get old before a week is up. Though I've never been there, I'm simply not the biggest fan of Asian super cities beyond a few nights - you can get relaxing cheap cold beers a lot cheaper on the beaches of Thailand.
    With four months its probably best not to plan for too many flights on your Thailand-Laos-Cambodia section as that way you can take it easy and wander as the wind takes you.

#2 Posted: 5/5/2012 - 02:49

• AdamCarter

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2012

Thanks for the detailed response!! With your information I can really the trip taking form.. First time hearing about Tad Lao and Pakse but I will definetly research it a bit more...So many greats places to go.. Might even strike off Cambodia just to stay in Thailand a little longer :)

#3 Posted: 6/5/2012 - 12:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hello! Advice needed :) 3 month trip. ... By 2Peas on 12 Jan 2013 6 1353 21 Jan 2013
5 month trip - rough route advice needed ! ... By nickolt on 28 Oct 2010 7 3053 6 Nov 2010
Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :) ... By reneejordan on 5 Nov 2010 8 19536 6 Mar 2011
Trip Advice Needed ... By famous29 on 22 Feb 2012 3 1536 13 Mar 2012
Completely new to this all... Advice for a 1.5 month trip ... By katie123 on 3 Jan 2014 12 950 9 Jan 2014
Trip planning advice needed ... By simonmobiledisco on 16 Jan 2009 10 2583 19 Jan 2009
Advice needed on SE Asia trip ... By Decoy on 8 Aug 2012 6 2204 6 Feb 2013
Last minute advice for trip needed ... By travelinchen on 19 Jul 2011 14 2799 23 Jul 2011
Advice needed about trip length / plans ... By cas84utd on 15 Jun 2010 4 1889 16 Jun 2010
3-4 week trip - first timer advice needed! ... By Katie2952 on 10 Mar 2014 5 1259 21 Apr 2014